1. Default austin to where? help, tips and suggestions

Hey, me and my bf will go on our first road trip together later this summer (july or august). We won't be going very long - probably a week round trip at most.

I've gone on road trips with my family before, but I never planned a whole road trip by myself before.

We will most likely go camping and eat mostly from stuff we carry, how much do you think we should budget for the trip?

Firstly, any suggestions where we should go? I'd like to drive no more than two days to get there. I'm not sure which direction I would like to go to. Maybe south to south padre, maybe east to new orleans and florida, I'm not sure what else that's not TOO far from Austin. Suggestions, tips, anything?

Also, what kinds of food should we bring? What else should we bring? How much should we expect to spend per day?

Also, I will probably bring a digital camera and my laptop to upload the pictures onto. Is there any sites out there that list the free wireless wifi hotspots in the cities we will pass or stay in?

Also, where on the trip would there be electric plugs for us to charge our cells and my laptop?

Any other tips would be great too?

Default A rasher of suggestions

... I'd like to drive no more than two days to get there. I'm not sure which direction I would like to go to. Maybe south to south padre, maybe east to new orleans and florida, I'm not sure what else that's not TOO far from Austin. Suggestions, tips, anything?
    Heading to New Orleans or South Padre Island in the heat and humidity of summer wouldn't be my first choice. Taos, New Mexico or even the higher elevations around Ouray, Colorado is very nice in summer months.
    Also, what kinds of food should we bring? What else should we bring? How much should we expect to spend per day?
    Bob & Gen's tips for budgeting ideas and food selection can be read here.
    Also, I will probably bring a digital camera and my laptop to upload the pictures onto. Is there any sites out there that list the free wireless wifi hotspots in the cities we will pass or stay in?
    Yes, there are a number of such sites. For more information about Wi-Fi, you can look at this page.
    Also, where on the trip would there be electric plugs for us to charge our cells and my laptop?
    I would suggest purchasing a good quality inverter and then you can charge them as you go. Alternatively, there will be power at motels and campgrounds as you go.

Mark

3. Default

thanks, i said probably not west because he ussually lives in el paso/new mexico area and im not sure if he wants to go back there since he's there most of the time.