amandaw33 Guest

Default California Road Trip question

My friend and I are taking a trip from San Francisco --> LA --> Vegas --> San Diego.

Can anyone suggest somewhere to stay between San Fran and LA? Particularly before San Simeon I think as we'll do Hearst Castle the morning after our stay? Something pretty cheap... but not camp grounds, hostel, etc

I found this link but I thought some of you on here may have some suggestions as I assume it's a well covered trip

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/sansim.html

Thanks

Default A possibility

We did do one of the Hearst Castle tours a couple of years ago (there are a few to choose from) and found it well worth the time and cost. But we were day tripping out of a rented home in Pacific Grove and so I don't have any first hand experience with the motels in the area. But because I prefer to book my motels ahead when I'm road tripping, I have a number of motel/B&B/owner_rental comparison websites bookmarked.

The best I could come up with that meets your criteria for a place to stay near San Simeon is the Silver Surf Motel about three miles south of San Simeon on the Coast Highway. It's on the website you linked to in your post. If you and your friend are willing to share a double bed, you can get a room for ~$50+tax. This motel gets about average reviews with the major complaint being the thinness of the walls (try for an upper story room) and the major positive comments commending the staff for their helpfulness (and the free breakfast coupons). Note that this is not a recommendation based on personal experience, but even the Super 8 in Monterey will cost you at least this much and stuff on the Big Sur coast will be considerably higher. Note also that rates in this neck of the woods are highly seasonally dependent. You can ask about an AAA discount, but I didn't see one specifically mentioned for this motel.

Sorry I couldn't do better, but I hope this helps.

AZBuck

Default the inside scoop

Quote Originally Posted by amandaw33
    Can anyone suggest somewhere to stay between San Fran and LA? Particularly before San Simeon I think as we'll do Hearst Castle the morning after our stay? Something pretty cheap... but not camp grounds, hostel, etc
    Anything between Big Sur and San Simeon would be considered on the high end of lodging opportunities. Cheap is very hard to find in a stretch where the real estate is darn hard to acquire for any price. But a rule of thumb as you approach San Simeon -- look at motels on the east side of Highway One (generally these run about 25% less expensive).

If you can swing $80 or so, try Deetjen's Big Sur Inn or the San Simeon Lodge (~ $45) If you have time, you must check out Partington Cove just north of Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (pirate's loot and other booty abound). Diirections and other cool tips can be found in the best guide book we have ever found for this stretch of Highway One.