Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My CB radio installation

Here are a few pictures of my CB radio installation. The radio is a new Uniden PC 68 Elite that I had tuned up by the place that I bought it from, 1StopElectronics. I mounted it in place of the rear seat cupholder. I removed the cupholder from the center console, cut a piece of lumber to fit, screwed the piece of lumber on the sides, then bolted the radio bracket to the back portion of the piece of wood.

The antenna mount is an aircraft aluminum mount made for 1-1/8" diameter Mack truck mirrors. The Yakima rack bars on my Subaru are slightly larger than 1-1/8" diameter with their plasticky coating. You may notice that the mount isn't physically grounded to any metal on the car. My SWR readings are just about 1.5 across the board, so somehow the mount is grounding capacitively to the car/roof rack. I won't complain.

The antenna is a 4' Wilson Flex, the skinny 1/4" diameter fiberglass one, with an adjustable tuning tip.
    Last edited by Tom_H007; 02-27-2024 at 02:52 AM. Reason: removed inactive store and photo links

Default Good Photos

Boston Wrangler,

Thanks for making some careful decisions about how to take photos of your installation. Very clever mounting location. I think the photos will be helpful.

Mark

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Cb

Very peculiar CB arrangement. How much did all the equipment cost? And how good is the reception?

I don't adjust anything on the CB while driving other than squelch and volume, and those are on the same knob. I didn't want to have any visible screw holes or anything in case I do eventually take it out of the car. I can put the cupholders back in and no one will ever know.

The radio was on sale (with the tune-up) and had a rebate, so that cost me $60. The mount was about $12, the antenna $20-25, and the coax about $15. Total the total was about $110-120.

The TX/RX is good. Fiberglass antennas aren't the greatest, but I haven't had any real problems with it. Around here where the airways are pretty noisy and full of traffic, I can get out about 3-5 miles. Out in the country I can get better range.

I had the CB mounted on the passenger side of the center console in my Mazda Protege:

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Sounds good

I have a mini mobile that I have in my car. It doesn't require any mounting, and all I have is a wire that I have snaked through the rear door to a magnetic antenna on the trunk, but have wanted to upgrade to a mounted mobile when I get a new car (eventually I will have not only a CB, but a larger GMRS). I will keep your tricks in mind when I go to install my radio(s).

Brad M.
    GMRS License-pending

Default Thanks for the photos!

I like your innovative, "no screwholes" mounting solution, and the photos make it easy to see how you did it. I'm also happy to see CB radios getting the attention they deserve. A lot of people seem to think they're dinosaurs, but I'm not exaggerating when I say I owe my life to a CB radio. They work when cell phones don't, and give you the capability of talking to other drivers near you on the road. For safety (and it's also fun to eavesdrop on truckers' conversations!) you can't beat 'em.

Thanks again, Boston Wrangler!

Thanks! I know that the installation isn't the prettiest, but it works for me and I don't often carry more than one passenger.

Default A general overview

I have published a general overview to the world of CB equipment. I will probably do some updates in the next couple of weeks.

Mark

9. Default An alternative antenna mount

I mounted the antenna on my Pathfinder using the hood channel mount. I can remove it if when not in use and when screwed in, it doesn't block driving view.

If you have a truck/van and an antenna mounting on the roof could pose some issues, like underground gargage, tool booth, etc ... this could be a good option.

The signal is pretty good for what I use it for, on and offroad trips.

Pics can be seen here

http://www.jumpset.com/modules/galle...umName=album02

Sonny,

Default Good Mount

Sonny,

I like that hood mount. What antenna is it?

Mark