Turtleboy Guest

Default Miami-LA-SF-Miami

Hi, I am leaving my job in April and going back to school in Miami in August. I plan on taking a road trip from May-August. I will be traveling alone, but will be visiting people along the way.

I hope to go Miami -> Dallas (possibly by way of New Orleans), -> Grand Canyon -> Vegas -> Los Angeles (where I have a friend to stay with -> San Fransciso -> ???? (Upper Northwest, but where?) -> Miami.

I have plenty of time, and while I'll have some money, I primarily plan to be spending time at cheap motels.

What should I start looking into? Should I look into camping? Any general tips?

2. Default Mix camping and motels?

I typically camp part of the time, and motel other nights. I usually plan 2 nights camping for each night in a room -- but it oftentimes works out more like 50/50. You can save quite a bit this way. Check out our <a href = "http://www.roadtripamerica.com/travelplanning/Cheap-Road-Trips.htm">cheap road trip article<a/>!

Then, get yourself a good atlas, or an online trip planner (like MS Streets and Trips) and see what roads you might like to drive, and what attractions look interesting along the way. In three or four months, you can see just about whatever you want to. I wouldn't even set an itinerary if I had that much time -- I'd get the budget in place, figure how much I could spend each day, and then take off. No matter where you're at in the country, you're never going to be more than about 5 days from home, so play it by ear and see how you like it.

Bruce Guest

Default Fla to Ca and back in 1 month

I have 1 month off this summer and I am planning to take the family out west. (wife and 2 kids) The plan is to visit family along the way. I would like to visit Hou TX,Dallas TX, Greely CO, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and CA. I would like to drive the Pacific coast Hwy too.
    I have 2 boys ages 9 and 14 years. They are good travelers but they have never spent a month out on the road. We will be traveling in a Ford Expedition so there should be plenty of room.
    I have just started planning the trip. Is this possible to do in 1 month, or should I tone down the planned number of stops?
    I'm looking forward to getting some feed back on this.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Bruce Guest

Default Fla to Ca and back in 1 month

I have 1 month off this summer and I am planning to take the family out west. (wife and 2 kids) The plan is to visit family along the way. I would like to visit Hou TX, Dallas TX, Greely CO, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and CA. I would like to drive the Pacific coast Hwy too.
    I have 2 boys ages 9 and 14 years. They are good travelers but they have never spent a month out on the road. We will be traveling in a Ford Expedition so there should be plenty of room.
    I have just started planning the trip. Is this possible to do in 1 month, or should I tone down the planned number of stops?
    I'm looking forward to getting some feed back on this.
    Thanks,
    Bruce