Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    imported_Nathan Guest

Default All around US - How Long

Hi,
    Has anyone made a road trip all around the US?
    I'd like to know how much time approximately it would take.
    I'm planning on just stopping at night, folowing coasts and US limits.

What do you think?

Thanks

Default 10 years would be a good start

I have been actively driving around the USA for about ten years, and figure I have seen about 15% of what there is to see.

On the otherhand, a number of folks have driven through all 50 states plus the Distict of Columbia in about a month.

Default time

Time .... What a treat that would be !

Yes - it can be done in a month (around the coasts / borders) --- however 2 or 3 months would give you much more adventure / sightseeing time.

Want some suggestions?

imported_Nathan Guest

I don't really have more than a month, so I guess the faster the better.
    Yeah i'd like some suggestions.
    Thanks

Default Several of those trips are documented

It is possible to drive into a piece of every of the lower 48 continental states in a month, but you won't be seeing much of them. Shortest possible distance to enter each of the 48 states is 10,000 miles.

Links to some of those epic road trips can be viewed on the <a href = "http://www.roadtripamerica.com/links/travelogs.htm">Travelogue page<a/>. Look at Bob Tabaddor's 2002 road trip "25 States in Five Weeks", or "Quest-4" which includes one of the best routes we have seen for such a trip.

You could also look at our <a href = "http://www.roadtripamerica.com/links/Speed-Runs.htm">Speed Run<a/> page. There used to be more trips listed here, but some of those sites are now off-line.

imported_Nathan Guest

I'm not talking about doing the whole 48 states, just the coasts and borders. That should be fine in a month right?

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default East Coast and the Southern Route

Hi,
    I never followed the entire Canadian Border nor did I drive the Pacific Coast but I can tell you that it's about 32 hours non-stop to get to Miami,Fl from VT or ME and that it'll take you approx. 4-6 days to go from FL to Cali depending on your experience and your level of sleepiness:o)

Good Luck!

Gen:-)

Default Might work in a plane, but a car???

Hmmm, well, there for the most part there are very few roads that follow the borders and the coasts in any complete way. Lots of zig-zagging will be necessary on small two-lane roads. I seriously doubt you could drive the entire border (and coasts) in less than a month.

It would be a good challenge though, and I would love to know if it were possible!

Mark

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Routes

If you want to complete your trip within a month, you'll probably have to use interstates like Mark suggested. For the East Coast, you could use I-95 from Me to Fl. To follow the Canadian Border you should use the Trans-Canada Highway from Quebec to BC. For the southern route, use I-10 from FL to AZ and then I-8 to Cali. For the Pacific Coast I think I-5 goes all the way from north to south.

Good Luck!

Default Those are meridians

Gen,

It is true that those routes follow, more or less, east to west and north to south but none of them shadow the borders. This poster wants, I think, to trace the outline of the country and Interstate 5 for instance is at one point over 100 miles from the coast.

I think he is more interested in the challenge of finding routes along the borders -- that is going to be tricky and will easily add 3000 miles to the trip!