Rox Guest

I'm traveling with my brother on a 5 day road trip from NJ to Pittsburgh, with stops in Greensboro, NC, Atlanta, GA, Biloxi, MS, and Memphis, TN.

Any and all advice would greatly be appreciated.

imported_michelle Guest

Default stay away from ms

why mississippi? (snip...). unless you have family, i dont see the point.

Default mississippi

i am from NYC and found MS and AL to be wonderful places to visit. interesting photo ops, nice people. i personally did not encounter any "backwards, no-teeth whatever" that was implied in the last reply. go to Mississippi and see for yourself that it's worth the trip!

Default Geat music, wonderful food and friendly folks

Like anywhere, one tends to find what one is looking for. We really have enjoyed all of our visits to MS.

Mark

Default Some random advice!

Pittsburgh is one of my favorite cities in the world. If you can arrange it try to enter the city from the west about about 5 am (the colors of downtown look like OZ to me)

Fort Point State Park has the largest wooden marimba-like bridge you will ever find. <a href = "http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/waveorg.htm#112303">Read my Editor's Note here</a>.

Tim Steil wrote a masterful book about old highway 61 running from New Orleans to Pigeon River. If you have time, take a look at <a href = "http://www.roadtripamerica.com/read/Highway-61-Revisited.htm">Highway 61 Revisited<a/> because you will learn about places and events in Mississipi that you are unlikely to fine on your own. A side trip to intersection of Highway 61 and 49 is sometimes associated with the location of where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil in exchange for his guitar-playing mastery.

Another professional roadtripper, James Teitelbaum, has documented the existence of Tiki clubs and bars all over North America. Surprisingly, Atlanta is home to one of the best -- if you like purple parasols in your drink check out Trader Vics at the Atlanta Hilton.

And Memphis -- home to Elvis, Al Green and BBQ so fine that my mouth is watering as I write this a few thousand miles to the west. If you are interested in music history -- the original STAX recording studio has been re-built and is open as a museum.

Let us know what you find!

Mark