Default Car camping along the north California coast

Has anyone camped along the coast between Monterey and Half Moon Bay? After looking into resevation websites that offer State Beach campgounds, there was no availability. Are there camp sites that are on a first come first serve basis at state beach campgrounds? On the official California State Parks website, it did state campsites are on a first come first serve basis. So I am a bit perplexed. How can one website offer reservations, when the State Parks website says first come first serve? We are driving from Santa Fe, NM to do camping along the coast and would like to know the possibilities. Such a long drive just to stay in a hotel. Thanks.

2. Default One possibility

I suspect that the campgrounds are reserved in general, but have a few spots held each day for those without reservations. Perhaps someone more familiar with that area can confirm or refute! Bob

E Guest

There are some first come first served camp sites at Half-Moon bay that get gobbled up by folks around here and their rv's. Butano has walk-in sites (<1/4 mile walk to tent site), and there is a county park in San Mateo that has some 1st come(Memorial).

Big Daddy Guest

Default Butano is Awesome...but theres more...

I have to say that Butano is about the prettiest, neatest campground I have ever seen. I dont think alot of people camp there, because it is a few miles from the coastline. I say try it...you will not be disapointed. It is gorgeous, and has a great overflow tenting area in case it is full. Another fantastic camping spot is near the Point Reyes lighthouse. There is a parking area below, and tent sites are a very easy mile or so hike. I highly recommend this walk in site, as you are camping on a hill overlooking the ocean, with a special bonus if the fog comes in the morning. There is also a fresh water spring right in this unimproved tenting area that provides very cool refreshing water. HAVE FUN!

imported_Lauren Guest

Default no reserve camping

try plaskett creek- south of monterrey but beautiful. big sur area