Abbey Morrow Guest

Default LA to Orlando in a hurry

I am flying a friend out to LA this week to spend a few days here. Then we are driving cross-country back to where she lives, Orlando.

She wants to go to the Grand Canyon, but other than that, I need to get to Orlando ASAP. I have to drop my friend off in Orlando and haul butt up to DC (also driving) for a job that I just landed.

How quickly can I get to Orlando from LA with 5 days to drive?

imported_Bob Guest

Default Does the friend drive too?

You can make it from LA to Orlando in 3.5 days, including about 6 hours at the Grand Canyon. The driving days will be long -- 7 am to 9 pm. Your nights fall at Flagstaff, Wichita Falls, TX, and a bit past Mobile, AL. The mileage is 2,626. Follow this route:

Day 1: I-10 to I-15 to I-40 @ Barstow, then I-40 to Williams AZ; SR64 to Grand Canyon. Backtrack to Flagstaff AZ via SR64 and US180.

Day 2: I-40 to US287 (Amarillo); US287 to Wichita Falls, TX.

Day 3: US287 to US380 (Decatur, TX); US380 to I-35 (Denton), south on I-35E to I-635 (East) to East US80. US80 east to SR557, SR557 south or east to I-20. Use I-20 all the way to Jackson, MS but bypass Shreveport on I-220. At Jackson, take US49 south to I-59 and follow that around Hattiesburg to pick up US98, take US98 to I-10 at Mobile. Use I-10 east from there and stop for the night somewhere around Eglin AFB.

Day 4: Follow I-10 to I-75, south to the Florida Turnpike which will take you to Orlando.

There ya go. What else do you want to know? This is 37 hours driving time and gas at 2.25 per gal would run you about $230 if your car gets good gas mileage.