Lou Guest

We are planning to drive from Denver to Phoenix. We want to stop at the Grand Canyon, see Sedona, Jerome, stop in Prescott to look at a 55+ community and visit friends in Phoenix. We have 7 or 8 days total. Any suggestions?

imported_Robert Guest

Default seeing

If I were doing the trip, I would go through Utah and see Bryce, Zion, Glen Canyon & Canyonlands National Park. If you have 7-8 days, you would probably have time to do that, although it depends on how much time you want to spend in Phoenix.
    I hope you have a good trip.

Robert

Default Three different routes

There are three great routes you can take from Denver to Phoenix.

1. I-70 to Grand Junction Colorado then take Hwy 50 south to Montrose and pick up Hwy 550 which is the Million Dollar Highway. You will pass thought Ouray, Silverton and Durango. Then take Hwy 160 to Mesa Verde National Park and Cortez, CO. At Kayenta take the side trip up Hwy 163 to Monument Valley. Continue on to Hwy 160 to Hwy 89 and take that south to enter the Grand Canyon. This route from Denver to Phoenix is 970 miles.

2. I-70 to Cisco, Utah and take scenic Hwy 128 into Moab. Once you cross the bridge over the Colorado River you will pass by Fisher Towers and then travel along side the Colorado River as the canyon walls get taller and closer together until you reach Moab. Spend a couple of nights in Moab to explore Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, & Dead Horse State Park. Continue south on Hwy 191 to Bluff, then take Hwy 163 to Monument Valley. Then you will take Hwy 160, 89 & 64 to the Grand Canyon. This route from Denver to Phoenix is 920 miles.

3. Take I-70 to a little past Green Junction, Utah. Then take Hwy 24 down to Hanksville and continue on to Capitol Reef National Park. From Torrey, Utah take Scenic Hwy 12 over the Boulder Mountain and thought the Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument to Bryce Canyon National Park. From Bryce continue on Hwy 12 thought Red Canyon and then take Hwy 89 south. Take a side trip to Zion on Hwy 9 and then exit back the same way. Continue on Hwy 89 to Page, AZ and Glen Canyon National Recreational Area (Lake Powell) Take Hwy 89 down to Hwy 64 to enter the Grand Canyon. Total miles 930

If you only have to make the round trip in 7 or 8 days then that doesn't give you much time for siteseeing on the way to and from Denver.

Utahtea