LJ Guest

Default MNtoTN

I am taking my first road trip alone...to Memphis. Does anyone have any advice? Also any cool unique places on the way?

Default Advice

Some advice:

Is this your first road trip, period, or your first SOLO road trip?
    Either way, these tips apply in both situations.

Plan your route in advance and let at least one trusted friend or family member know where you'll be heading and your estimated time of arrival. Keep in touch with that person. Communicate any changes in your plan.

Know your route. If you plan on taking many different roads on your way, perhaps print up a list of major intersection points in a large font (18-point or greater).

Trust your instincts. If you don't like the way an area looks, leave.

Know your limits. Don't try to push too far and/or too fast. Drive like your life depended on it (which it does). My maps come up with about 950 miles from Minneapolis to Memphis. Solo, that's two solid 9-hour driving days, each way.

Read the <a href = "http://www.roadtripamerica.com/DefensiveDriving/Drive-Safe-With-Uncle-Bob.htm">Drive Safe With Uncle Bob<a/> section on this site. It has some very good advice.

Be patient and things will go better, even if they don't go your way. Have fun!

Default Hey!

Thanks for the plug!

Default !

No problemo...and thanks to Editor for plopping in the link HTML that I forgot!