Default Tetons & Yellowstone cheap lodging

Some friends and I will be cruising through Wyoming this summer and want to make a quick sidetrip into the Tetons and Yellowstone. We will be there mid-week towards the end of June. Not sure what nights so we hate to make reservations. Any ideas on cheap lodging in that area? Also, will we be screwed without reservations? Some of us are ok with camping but some aren't. Is there any cheap hotels with a campground close by?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Default West Yellowstone

You're not going to be able to get lodging in Yellowstone with out reservations and it's probably to late to even make reservations for in the park.

I would suggest checking the town of West Yellowstone, Montana. The campers in the group can try Madison Campground in Yellowstone, about 15 miles from West Yellowstone.

Default Thanks

Yeah, I have been checking out lodging in West Yellowstone.

Do you have any idea what rate of speed you average while driving in the park. I mean, is it so slow and crowded that you are driving 15-20mph in most places or is it only crowded among the more touristy places, like Old Faithful, and less congested in some of the other areas?

Also, what is the minimum time needed to get a "taste" of Yellowstone? With minimal time, is there any must-sees that you would recommend we put at the top of our list?

Thanks!

Default Wish I could help!

I haven't been to Yellowstone for YEARS! I visited the park in '75 and there was still 5 feet of snow in MAY! The only place we could camp was at the hot springs area!

If you are interested in old west history though, you might also include a "little" loop east and north -- and see the Medicine Wheel National Monument, Little Bighorn Battlefield, Old Fort C.F. Smith, Pompey's Pillar, and although I haven't been there, the town of Red Lodge, MT. The REAL mountain man behind the movie character Jeremiah Johnson (his name was Liver-eatin' Johnson, but his first wasn't Jeremiah -- I think it was actually John or something like that) was the sheriff there once. It's GOT to be an interesting place!

Default Thanks

Thanks, Bob. Very cool ideas what we won't have time for on this trip as we're heading south to Roswell, NM, for a car show. But sounds like there's plenty of interesting reasons to head back to that area at our first opportunity.

Default hey!

THAT'S where you went LAST year, isn't it? You caught in a rut? I'm just teasing you. You VW owners are a dedicated bunch I guess. :)

Default Dedicated Dubbers

Yeah, the Roswell car show is limited to New Beetles. I went in 2000 and last year. I'm going this year because it's the 5 year anniversay of the show and there's some special events planned that sound very fun. These are people that I stay connected with through email and various bulletin boards, etc., so each year I also get to see friends I've made. A bonus!

And each year I've driven different routes so I've gotten to see other parts of the country there and back.

In 2000: there via Reno and Vegas; back via Moab
    In 2003: there via Colorado (Leadville); back via Moab again but I returned through a different part of Idaho
    In 2004: there via Yellowstone; home via Grand Canyon

So, it's really been a very different trip each time. BTW, pretty cool that you remember that! :-)

I told my husband about Liver-Eating Johnson (Jeremiah Johnson is one of his favorite movies) and he wants to check out those suggestions sometime soon. Thanks again.

Default "Crow Killer"

If you search on "Liver Eating Johnson," you'll come up with a book on him called Crow Killer, the Saga of Liver Eating Johnson (at Amazon, for one). It's a graphic story of his life and times, and explains how he got his nickname and his decades-long vendetta against the Crows. Your husband will probably find it an interesting read (I did)!

Bob

Default Forgot to say...

that the REAL Johnson's life was BETTER than the movie -- I can't imagine why Hollywood decided they could improve on the truth -- but they did. They didn't succeed, IMHO.

Default Thanks

I'll check it out...it sounds like something he would enjoy reading.