Hello all, This summer I'm planning on taking a roadtrip from the south suburbs of Chicago thru the southwest US leading to CA and then back a different route. I am male, 21 yrs of age and will be going for sure with one other friend - possibly a third. I have taken shorter road trips in the past about 10 or so hours away, but nothing as big as what I plan on taking on, so needless to say I am excited. I would have 2 wks for this trip. My tentative plan is as follows....

I would start by taking I-55s down to STL area. Then catch on to I-44w thru MO and enter the NE corner of OK. Continue on thru OK city and catch I40w thru the panhandle of TX and take that straight thru NM and AZ to I-15s to I-5 to eventually 101. I would then Follow that up to SanFran area. On the return trip back home I'd take a different route of course ( the more states the better ) I was thinking of just taking I-80e thru NV and UT up into WY and THEN take I25s by Cheyenne down to denver area b/c I really want to see Colorado. Then continue east on I-70 thru Kansas and then maybe North on I-29 so i can catch some of NE ( not that it's too exciting there ) and then back on I-80e all the way home. Of course all of these plans are not set in stone. Still in the planning stages.

Basically this is not so much a final destination kind of trip but rather just a stop here and there kind of a roadtrip. I've been out west before and really enjoyed the scenic spots along the paths I took. However, that was just from Lasvegas to LA. A few things I really would like to do if I get the time to visit the 4 corners monument, see the Rock formation monuments in Utah, and of course all of the different mountains I'd encounter. Another thing I am not sure about is lodging. One bonus is, is that I work for a Marriott hotel and I can get exceptional discounts on any marriott hotel so long as I make arrangements beforehand. Kind of a bummer for a roadtrip considering whos to say I will keep on my agenda perfectly and have enough time to get to where my hotel will be. So that kind of messes everything up. I was also thinking I could just wing it and stop where ever I found a cheap(ish) hotel and deal with that. Not too sure. If anyone has any suggestions about the routes I have mentioned or can offer any other sights and scenic things to see. please respond I'd appreciate it!