imported_liz Guest

Default safety for two girls travelling alone

I'm sure that somewheres there is already a thread about this, but I haven't been able to find it...so i'll just make my own.
    For the summer of our senior year, my cousin and I (both girls) want to travel cross-country by ourselves. although our plans are still unclear, we definitely want to hit miami, florida (travel down the east coast) and then head out west. i've heard from many people that miami is a dangerous place for two teenage girls to be by themselves. is there anything i can do to increase my safety (other than bringing a male "protector" along)?

Default safety for two girls travelling alone

I'm sure that somewheres there is already a thread about this, but I haven't been able to find it...so i'll just make my own.
    For the summer of our senior year, my cousin and I (both girls) want to travel cross-country by ourselves. although our plans are still unclear, we definitely want to hit miami, florida (travel down the east coast) and then head out west. i've heard from many people that miami is a dangerous place for two teenage girls to be by themselves. is there anything i can do to increase my safety (other than bringing a male "protector" along)?

Default "Women"

Just plug "women" into the search feature, select all the "Scope" topics (drag/highlight) and you'll come up with LOTS of posts on your topic. Once you take a look at those, if you have any questions, ask and ye shall receive!

There are lots of solo women travelers -- with a little common sense and forethought, it can be as safe for you as anyone else!

See you on the road! Bob

Janie Guest

Default Women travelling alone in Miami

I grew up in Miami, and have just visited last week. Like most large cities, there are good areas and bad areas. Miami has become a very cosmopolitan city, which lends it a great deal of flavor. Most of the "natives" will tell you what to avoid.

A fun place for teenagers is South Beach (in Miami Beach, Collins Ave. and the low #'s streets). It's a very busy, loud, and an "in" place for young singles. As there are a lot of people there, you will have to be careful of your valuables - don't take a purse unless you absolutely must.

Mostly, follow your own good sense. If a place doesn't feel comfortable, leave at once. You know, do all the things that your parents advise in terms of safety.

By the way, I am a woman who travels alone. I am watchful, but not paranoid.

Have a great trip.

Default The mother in me...

The mother in me is going to come out a little in this post. Here goes...

I am a woman who has often travelled alone and I think it is safe for a woman to travel alone as long as good judgement and common-sense is used. Hone your personal radar and pay attention to it. If something tells you that a situation doesn't feel right, get yourself out of it as quick as you can. Even better, learn to make good judgements to keep yourself out of those situations to begin with.

Here's where the mother part comes in. As the parent of teenagers, I have certainly observed many situations where my teens have made poor choices concerning their personal safety. Thankfully, none of these choices have resulted in them being hurt but the potential was certainly there. I think a lot of the ability to make good judgements regarding personal safety comes from experiece. Something that many people your age don't have enough of.

Since I don't know you or your personal level of experience, you may be the exception at your age. However, I will offer some suggestions that I also apply to anyone of any age/experience level but I think particularly apply to younger people first starting out on roadtrips and other adventures.

1. While I'm not big on having an itinerary, I think for this first roadtrip, you should consider doing more planning ahead so that your family will know where you are going to be and when.
    2. I think each of you should carry a cellphone and use it regularly to check in with family. At least daily. Certainly, your family should always know what hotel you are staying in, the hotel's phone number, your room number, and your general plans for the day.
    3. If you are going out partying....hey, I'm a realist and I know kids look for that more than old women my age...it would probably be a good idea to leave a note in your hotel room indicating where you are going and when you intend to return. If you have met some people that you will be hanging out with, it wouldn't hurt to leave some information about them as well. If you know their names, any contact information for them, etc.
    4. Set some general rules with your traveling partner about when to leave a situation ahead of time. Maybe develop a code phrase that you can use to alert the other that you don't feel safe and want to leave without having to state that out loud. Having some general personal safety rules and procedures that you agree on ahead of time could serve you well if you find yourself in a situation that doesn't feel right...and, in fact, can help you learn how to identify those situations.

I'm not trying to scare you off from your roadtrip at all. I think roadtrips are perfectly safe and a great way to see the world. I hope you go explore and have a great time. I'm just thinking that you may need a bit inexperienced and might need a few more self-imposed rules than some of us older folks might need in order to feel safe and to make your family feel better about your trip.

There are many other things to consider that have already been stated in other posts on this board. Do the search the other poster recommended for more ideas.

Hope this makes sense. Enjoy your adventure!

Default Good comments

Judy makes some great points, as usual, and all of her suggestions should be heeded!

(1) One of the weaknesses of being young is that most of them haven't yet learned that they CAN be rubbed out. I wish I could snap my fingers and this harsh reality would immediately become apparent to all of them, if just for the extra thoughtfulness that realization brings.

(2) I think it is true that experience is the best teacher. I've been a pilot for 30 years and have encountered some dangerous situations. I can tell you the most vivid lessons I ever learned were those where I knew without a doubt that except for a bit of luck, I'd have been dead, dead, dead. The only difference between me and others that DID get killed (in similar situations) WAS that little bit of luck. The stories I could tell you would curl your toes. Is it worth it to take those kind of chances for no apparent reason? You have to decide that for yourself, based on your own comfort levels and willingness to assume risks.

I've never shied away from things others may think are dangerous, but when I do them I make sure that only I am at risk (not others), that I understand WHAT the risks are (and is the risk worth the gain), and I always try to take the precautions that stack the deck in my favor, despite the dangers. That said, each one of us should take responsibility for our own safety.

(3) Judy said "If you have met some people that you will be hanging out with, it wouldn't hurt to leave some information about them as well. If you know their names, any contact information for them, etc."

I'd ADD that if you don't know even that much about them, you shouldn't be considering putting your life in their hands (if that is the case). Be alert & aware of your surroundings and what is going on. Don't let things get away from you, and don't ever rely on someone that you don't know a thing about for your welfare or safety.

Default Old woman -- not

All excellent points with the exception of the "old woman" comment.

Default LOL...

Thanks! Happy New Year!