Southi I'llbeseein'ya Guest

Default Can I drive from Seattle to Dallas in January?

Can a trip from Seattle to Dallas be driven in January's pass conditions?

Kenny G Guest

Default SEA to DFW

The safest bet would be I-5 south, then get on I-40 all the way to Amarillo, then US287 south. I-40 and 287 will be clear, unless a bad storm comes through, at which point things will be slow for a day or two.

Default Alternatives

I am not a big fan of I-40 in the winter months, to that end if you use I-5 I would follow it all the way to I-10 to I-20 into Dallas.

However, my preference for that drive (winter or summer conditions) would be I-82/84 from Seattle to I-15 to I-70 (the westen slope of the Rockies is still in drought conditions) and then I-70 over the Divide and follow I-70 through Kansas to I-35 and then south into Dallas.

The other consideration is that none of the routes are that big a deal. Truckers and other drivers use these road 365 days a year. At the most, winter weather will (should) cause you to reduce your speed a bit and you might experience a couple hours of delay if one segment of one of the roads is closed. Closures on major roadways more than four hours are EXTREMELY rare.

Should be a beautiful drive. Enjoy!

Default SEA to DFW

Would you make other arrangements if you were driving a 2dr Acura Integra? I haven't driven this car in pass or mountain snow, but it handles quite well in the city stuff.

Default Be Prepared

No, I have driven most (paved) passes in the West in a Jetta. Carry chains, window scraper, read and understand all of the <a href = "http://www.roadtripamerica.com/tips/mountaindriving.htm">RTA</a> and <a href = "http://www.mountaindriver.com/page6.html">Pro</a> mountain driving tips and slow your speed.

Handling is often easier in an Acura than a SUV.

Mark

Default Once past the continental divide...

Another thing in your favor is that once you cross the continental divide, early January is VERY early for major winter storms on the eastern side (so transit thru Kansas on I-70 should be no problem.) We have "worked" on our sun tans in Denver in early January. The big snow storms usually arrive at the end of January.

Default T(h) an (k) you very much

I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes on the forecasters and hope that the first official snowfall doesn't hit until late January again this year!

Default There had better be snow before then

The first official snow fell over a month ago! But the heavy (eg: wet) snow storms hit the eastern slope in mid to late January.