Default Vegas to San Fran - Brits on Tour!

We're a couple of Brits planning a trip from Las Vegas to San Fran in September (to tie in with a family wedding in Las Vegas). Unfortunately we've only got a week to travel between the two. Current plans include: Death Valley, Yosemite and Sonoma Valley. Any advice? Any other 'must sees'??
    Also thinking of going to the Grand Canyon for a couple of days max before heading off. Any advice?

Default Where are you starting from?

A week to travel between San Francisco and Las Vegas is generous. But your stated destination inclusions seem challenged. Are you planning on stopping in Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Sonoma on your way to or from Las Vegas?

As an aside, Las Vegas is a great place to attend a wedding -- so many options for fun things to do. We have been to a couple there.

Default Las Vegas to San Francisco

Starting from Las Vegas - will probably go to Grand Canyon for a couple of days, then back towards Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, etc. - seeing as much as possible, ending up in SF at the end of the week to catch the plane home. We're planning to camp - do you think we would need to book, or just turn up? Does this seem too ambitious do you think?

Default NPS Campgrounds in August

Simon,

Well, there won't be any problem finding a camping spot in Death Valley in August (ground temperatures in the 120 degree F. range), but campground sites at Grand Canyon & Yosemite in August are in hot demand. There is a site that enables camping reservations at nearly all Federal & State campgrounds. http://www.reserveamerica.com/

No the schedule is doable. Enjoy the wine country in Sonoma!

imported_Jeremy Guest

Default advice for Brits

Hey my lovely Brits, my wife and I just recently returned from England where we saw London, Stonehenge, Leeds Castle, and tons more. What a beautiful country! Okay, I live in California and have been to all of the places you just mentioned. When in Vegas, be SURE to drive down the Las Vegas strip at night!!! Also, visit FREEMONT street at night! You MUST see the Grand Canyon or I will BEAT you silly. Death Valley (deleted) It's hot, it's empty, it's boring. If you like ugly wasteland, then by all means help yourselves. Yosemite is also one place that everyone should see before they die. It's *gorgeous*. Sonoma valley makes for a pretty drive, but unless you like vine then it's not the most important place to see. Either while you are in Yosemite (Tuolumne Meadows area) or else by travelling through Sequoia National Park, either way make sure you the Giants! The Sequoias are the largest trees on earth and are breathtaking. If you have time, drive through Sequoia national park and stop by Moro Rock. Hope you're not scared of heights. Finally, if you like really WEIRD stuff, like I do, then a trip to the Winchester Mystery Mansion would be really fun.

Those are my words of wisdom for you. Have fun, and if you go to any of those places, let me know! Hell, stop by and tell me in person!!! I'll be living in Fresno on Aug. 15. I'm married, 26. Come by for tea. :)

-Jeremy-
    language_monkey@yahoo.com

Default I think you missed something

Death Valley is one of our favorite national parks. It is full of more enchanting ghost towns, unusual riparian environments and stunning views than just about anywhere in the world. I try to get to Death Valley at least once every 4-6 weeks. I have never found any aspect of it boring.

For instance did you get to the Sliding Stones playa? Large stones move "on their own" over great distances and move at right angles -- no one has ever developed a plausible theory for how this happens.

It is hot in the summer -- darn cold in the winter -- and it sure 'aint Disneyland, but it is full of wonder nonetheless.

imported_Jeremy Guest

Default Death Valley

hmmm...really? That does sound pretty interesting...I guess I'll have to look into it more. Maybe a trip there during the winter would be best? hehehehe.

What's this about sliding rocks??? Has anyone ever witnessed this? Is there a good website you can recommend?

-jeremy-