Thread: Florida Keys

imported_Amy Guest

Hi

I'm planning a short roadtrip to the Keys. It will last about a week and I will be camping. But I can't decide whether to stay on one island or travel around. I have a SUV and a tent. I am open to any suggestions. I haven't been to the Keys since I was 6, so I can't remember much.

Thanks,
    Amy

Default Our memories are hazy (for a different reason)

Amy,

Our memories of the Keys are hazy too, but not for the reason of being there when we were six years old. (Explanations are probably unneccessary) I remember campgrounds in Key Largo and Key West -- Jabours to be exact -- but the best source of information I know is Chris Elliot's superb site: http://www.elliott.org. Chris is a nationally-known travel writer and I think you will find his site useful.

M.

3. Default Reservations and No See-ums

Let me know how you make out with reservations, they sometimes are very difficult to get in the winter. No see-ums can ruin a camping trip to Florida. These biting bugs no bigger than a grain of pepper can get through the average tent and RV screen. They sell special no see-um screen which would have to be sewn behind the regular screen to protect campers. Newer RVs and tents have this fine mesh 20mil screen. Everywhere in Florida where the weather is warm and tropical you will find no see-ums, even in the middle of January and especially on the Keys.

Default Good advice about the No See-Ums!

Quote Originally Posted by robandjeanne View Post
    Let me know how you make out with reservations, they sometimes are very difficult to get in the winter
    In our experience, cancellations frequently occur and most folks won't have a problem.
    Newer RVs and tents have this fine mesh 20mil screen. Everywhere in Florida where the weather is warm and tropical you will find no see-ums, even in the middle of January and especially on the Keys
    I feel the same way about jiggers in other parts of the south. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! What is your favorite place to go and explore in the Keys?

Mark