Hue Guest

Default 1st Road Trip via US-50, Scenic Route seekers

Me and my girlfriend are going on our first road trip from NY to SF and and she decided we should take US-50 because it's a striaght highway all that way across. I'm looking to take tons of pictures, how beautiful of a scenery drive should we expect?

Hue Guest

Me and my girlfriend are going on our first road trip from NY to SF and and she decided we should take US-50 because it's a striaght highway all that way across. I'm looking to take tons of pictures, how beautiful is the scenery going this way?

Thanks in advance.

Hue Guest

Me and my girlfriend are going on our first road trip from NY to SF and and she decided we should take US-50 because it's a striaght highway all that way across. We're looking to take tons of pictures, how beautiful is the scenery going this way?

Thanks in advance.

Hue Guest

Me and my girlfriend are going on our first road trip from NY to SF and and she decided we should take US-50 because it's a striaght highway all that way across. We're looking to take tons of pictures, how much and how beautiful is the scenery via the US-50?

Thanks in advance.

Hue Guest

Default 1st Road Trip via US-50, NYC2CA

My girlfriend and I are going on our first road trip from NY to SF and she suggest we take US-50 because it's the straightest interstate across. We're looking to take tons of pictures, should we take the US-50 and if so how beautiful is the scenery.

Thanks in advance.

God Bless America.

Don Woodmancy Guest

Default US-50

US-50 is an interstate highway only in the sense that it goes from state-to-state across the country. It is not part of the Interstate Highway System, also known as freeways.

I have not travelled its entire length but in the areas I have been on it, it is almost always a two-lane road that has become "Main Street" in every little village and burg through which it passes (and it passes through a lot of them).

Through Colorado and Utah, it is very scenic. Through Nevada, it has earned the title "The Lonliest Road" as it passes through the great basin area..

If you travel its length, you will experience a real cross-section of America but do not expect to travel at freeway speeds.

Frank Thompson Guest

Default US 50 across America

What a great way to see America! I'm jealous! I've never had the time to take a trip like that. I am familiar with 50 through Missouri and Kansas. In Missouri, you'll see a lot of hill country, Jefferson City (state capitol), Sedalia (home of ragtime composer Scott Joplin), past the Powell Gardens - a real treasure if you have the time to get out and take a stroll. There won't be much to see in Kansas on 50, US 56 actually goes through a lot more interesting places. However, taking 50 you do get a fairly good view of the Flint Hills (west of Emporia). Be sure to take a little 3 or 4 mile side trip to Cottonwood Falls. The old courthouse is wonderful. Then go back north of 50 to visit the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve. From that point on, US 50 is pretty boring until you get well into Colorado and the Rocky Mountains. Dodge City is on the way, but it is over-rated. Even so, it beats taking the Interstate!!

Traveldawg Guest

Default HWY 50

We've driven Hwy 50 across Nevada a few times. It's much more scenic than 80. Make sure you stop to see the shoe tree just east of Fallon. and stop to see the sandunes North of the hwy and have lunch at the little town of Eureka.

Beware that there aren't many places to stay on this road. Plan to stay in Ely or the Reno/Sparks area. Between the two towns is very desolate.

have fun.