Thread: Sleeping in Car

imported_Stephanie Guest

Default Sleeping in Car....

I am about to embark on a road trip with limited funds. I plan on camping the majority of the time but I have a feeling I may have to sleep in my car a few days. I would never sleep at a rest stop as I hear their safety is not the greatest.

I wanted to see if anyone on the boards had any advice or suggestions as to where to pull over if it gets to that. I am hoping this will be a last resort (as I will be travelling alone) but if I do I would at least like to know where to go..

Thanks,
    Stephanie

GEORGE FRANKEL Guest

Default SLEEPING IN YOUR CAR

STEPH. WE HAVE USED TRUCK STOPS TO SLEEP IN THE BACK OF OUR PICK UP WITH OUT DIFFICULTY. IT IS ALWAYS WELL LIT WITH ALOT OF PEOPLE AROUND. THE PROBLEM WE HAVE WITH THIS IS COMFORT. IN THE SUMMER A CAR OR TRUCK WITH THE WINDOWS CLOSED CAN GET VERY STUFFY. THINK OF A WAY TO HAVE SOME KIND OF SCREEN, TO GET SOME AIR. ENJOY YOUR TRIP

Default Place to sleep

Safety Rest areas along highways actually prohibit people from sleeping in cars at night. Safer places would include the car parking area in commercial travel centers, (truck stops) and hospital parking lots. Getting a good night's sleep should be as high a priority as fuel for the car.

There are plenty of free or nearly free campgrounds in US Forest Service campgrounds.