Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Katie Guest

Default What's the best kind of car for a road trip?

My parents are considering selling me their 1996 Geo Tracker for very cheap, which would be great, minus one thing: the car probably couldn't handle a trip over two or three hours. I was planning a road trip vacation to DisneyWorld (from Chicago) this summer, and I would like to know what the best kind of car is for the long haul. That way I can buy a used car that's better suited for trips.

Thanks!

Default How could the car know?

How would the car know how long a trip is? Perhaps you wouldn't find the drive comfortable past three hours? The criteria for a road vehicle -- should be based on comfort and condition -- cut-down on the maintenance expense.

Default It helps

if you can sit ergonomically correct which would be a mini-van or mid size SUV.

BTW, my favorite vehicle is our motorhome!

Utahtea

Katie Guest

My concern is how well engine performance would be after many hours of fast driving.

Default What is the condition of the car?

1996 is not all that old -- Both of our road trip vehicles are older than that -- each have over 180,000 miles -- each are reasonably well maintained and can do considerably more miles each day than their human occupants.

Katie Guest

Yeah, but what KIND of car are they? A Tracker couldn't handle 180,000 miles. It needs serious repair now, and it's got just over 47,000. All I'm looking for is Make/Model information.

Default There are hundreds of models appropriate

If cost wasn't a factor I would get a Hummer, Land Rover or expedition quality Toyota. We prefer short-wheel base vehicles and so we use a Chevrolet S-10 Blazer and on the other end of the scale the 32-foot Phoenix One, (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/phoenix/imap.htm). But there is no one single model that makes it the best roadtrip vehicle.

Default It depends

The best kind of car depends on the type of trip. For one or two people (unless you planned on cramming 4 people in your geo) I think any type of reliable car would be good. A honda accord or toyota camry have very good reputations for reliability. For more people, A minivan is great for road trips, large, roomy, comfortable, and gets relatively good gas milage. If you plan on going off the beaten path, then maybe an SUV or something might be useful. But you will sacrifice fuel economy and possibly comfort, depending on the type of truck. Something like this would be nice.

http://www.geocities.com/bnibali/PedroMain.html

If cost wasn't a factor, I'd get a land cruiser. I'd stay away like the Hummer (not like i can afford one anyway) but it's too flashy. I wouldn't want any car that attracts attention if I'm driving through unknown areas.

Brent Guest

Its obviously my 95 2 door chevy blazer!! come on!! haha no im just playing, but that phoenix one sure looks pretty sweet. You gotta have something that can handle the off roading adventours but still give you some power on the highways..at least for me...

Commmon ppl Camaro!!! Hehe... I have DVD and a 5 inch sceen in the dash, custom sound system, CD radio, Televa(for directions) and gps. This works awesome for 1 or 2 ppl tops. It has the power to enjoy some of the New England back road twsities or just cruise (fastly) on the Interstates. The seats recline almost flat for napping and the I get good gas Mileage.

But hey, then again I am a big kid and like my sports cars.