Shannon Guest

Hello...my friends and I will making the drive from Arizona to Massachusetts soon and it looks like our original Route (I-44/40) is blocked by massive tornadoes right now. We were thinking of taking I-25 North to Denver, then across I-76. My question is, does anyone know if that part of I-25 thru Colorado Springs is really mountainous? One of our vehicles will be towing and the other is a 1970 VW Bus...not vehicles we want to be driving thru the peaks of the Rockies...any advice would be helpful!!

Default Tornadoes are not like mountains

The notion of any highway being "blocked by tornadoes" is a little novel. Turns out, it is darn hard to find one when one is looking for one. I have spent considerable time chasing storms and the only times I have ever been in the path of tornadoes happened when the blasted things chased me, (when I was areas where no one expected the darn things to form). I wouldn't advise changing your route for this reason.

On the other hand, I-25 is not very mountainous, you will be driving on the eastern slope of the Rockies and although there is elevation gain, it is gradual. I-76 to I-80 will take you across the northern section of the notorious Tornado Alley. But again, the liklihood that you will ever see one is very low. But seeing one, (from a distance), is a experience that you will probably savor for years. Tornadoes, unlike mountains, rarely last more than a few minutes. Go have an adventure!

Default Long-term weather outlook

After I posted that last message, I looked at the weather patterns, most of the action has shifted to the southern states and although there is still a good chance of rough weather developing along your orginal route, I would suggest I-40 to I-44 and take the diagonal to St. Louis and then pick-up I-70 as you head east. Yes, this route will still take you through an area that has the potential for serious storms -- but it is still the fastest route.

Use the update option offered by www.wunderground.com, I have used it myself and find the information to be superb. Hey, a little rain and wind is easier on a towing vehicle than snow!

Shannon Guest

Thanks for all your help!