Jeff Ryan Guest

Default First Road Trip! Any advice?

Hey everyone! I've been looking forward to this road trip for some time now. I just want to get everyone's take and make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

I'm going to be doing this trip by myself. My goal is to be completely isolated from my regular world and maybe write a book based on this experience. I will carry a cell phone for emergencies of course, but plan not to use it.

Here are the nuts and bolts. I'm going to leave on Friday, May 16th in hopefully good traveling weather and travel 10 days. Leaving my home in Cranston, Rhode Island, I'm going to take the interstates until I get to Maryland and then take the US highways (starting with US 50) all the way to Kansas City, MO. From there, slightly north to Nebraska (for some minor league baseball), then south to Dallas (taking 66 through Oklahoma and also US 77 amoung others). From there east to Savannah, GA on US 80 and then north up US 17 and then US 13 through the Delmarva Penninsula. Here is a closer look at my itinerary:

5/16 Fri - Clarksburg, WV 629 miles
    Sat - Vincennes, IN 469 miles
    Sun - Kansas City, MO 431 miles
    Mon - Lincoln, NE 293 miles
    Tues - Miami, OK 458 miles
    Wed - Dallas, TX 412 miles
    Thurs - Jackson, MS 417 miles
    Fri - Macon, GA 434 miles
    Sat - Wilmington, NC 446 miles
    Sun - Dover, DE 459 miles
    Mon - Cranston, RI 397 miles

Here's how I figure the cost (trying to overestimate):

Miles - 4845
    Gas - 16 fill ups x $20 = $320
    Lodging -10 stops x $75 = $750
    Food - 33 meals x $5 = $165
    TOTAL COST = $1235

I think I've pretty much covered my bases. I figure 450 miles a day on the US highways is reasonable. Any ideas or suggestions would certainly be appreciated!

And if you see a shiny black '02 Mustang with Rhody plates, that's me! Happy travels!

-Jeff

2. Default AAA

You've done your research and know exactly where you want to go.

Still a good idea to join AAA if you haven't already.

ab

Default Quest-4

A couple of road adventurers embarked on an epic road trip a couple of years ago. You might find some of their discoveries enlightening at www.quest-4.com.