Clayton Guest

Default What to do for my first road trip

Well life for me has been very fast pasted the past 7 months or so, I recently got a new car that gets 45mpg on the highway, and im really looking to take a road trip with a special friend in mind she is all up for it aswell. The main thing is how to convince the parents on both sides as is im only 18. Also the setdate so far is the days after christmas, Where are some good places to go leaving from dallas texas. Thats going to be fun, romantic, exciting, and most of all NEW. How much am I looking to spend/bring with me. almost any thing else yall could help me with is very much thanked. :)

GEORGE FRANKEL Guest

FIRST OF ALL DO NOT GET TALKED OUT OF THIS TRIP. NEXT IF YOU AND YOUR SPECIAL FRIEND CAN NEGOTIATE A LONG DISTANCE ROAD TRIP A MONTH OR MORE YOU CAN GET THROUGH JUST ABOUT ANYTHING. TAKE IT SLOW 250 MILES A DAY. GO SEE THE COOKY THINGS ROADSIDE ATTRACTIONS USE STATE ROADS EAT IN MOM AND POP PLACES TAKE IT A DAY AT A TIME GOOD LUCK GEO.F.

Rachael Guest

When you tell your parents you have to tell them straight what you are planning and where you are going etc. I've learnt that if you lie to your parents they will find out anyway and everything turns out worse than if would have been if you had just told them in the first place. Plan your route before you go so that your parents know where you will be each day, and keep in contact with them so that they know you are ok.

kristy Guest

I personally love the ocean in the winter. anywhere along the coast would be nice. Definetly have your route planned ahead of time including stops. I drive cross country solo once a year. I always leave my route and planned stops with my family plus a description of my car and liscense info etc. and copies of my health insurance. sounds paranoid but i am sure your parents will be much more willing to let you go if you are prepared and responsible. you can still take detours off your main route just stop and check in if you are gonna go more than 1/2 hour off your planned route. that way you can be a little spontaneous too. there are many motels that are inexpensive such as motel 6, etc that are safe and clean. you can always splurge a night or two in your final destination on a nicer hotel. take lots of pictures and have fun!!

Default 18 was my first solo too

When I was 18 (that was quite a few years ago) I did a solo road trip of about 15,000 miles in four weeks. Best advice and similar to other posters in this thread -- Do it. Don't get too worried about potential perils -- Go have an adventure.

Mark