Thread: First-Timer

Default It's all new to me

Hi
    I'm coming from Ireland to do a US Roadtrip in October and I have a few questions
    I'm going to route from San Francisco along I80 to Cheyenne and then go down to Denver for a few days. Then to Las Vegas before heading towards the Grand Canyon and accross to Hilton Head.
    Questions
    What are the speed limits, I have heqard out west on the Interstates it is quite high.
    Are there frequent gas stations, should I carry extra gas?

Thanks

the speed limits can be anywhere from 55 to 80 on the highways. just keep your eyes open for signs and slow down to the speed limit if you go through small towns. thats how the police make their money in some tiny towns :D
    i only found a few places where the gas stations were few and far between. (i think in utah on highway 6 between 15 and 70 was a little sparse but my memory could be faulty) for the most part, gas stations are readily available and posted on roadsigns. i just started looking whenever my tank hit 1/4 and i was always fine. i always made sure to fill up before i started over a mountain pass or a long stretch of desert area. even in the sparser populated areas of the usa there are usually always gas stations spread out along the way. the price varies a lot. the most expensive i found was on highway 70 in colorado (around the area where you go to aspen). i guess they figure if you can aford to go to an aspen ski resort, you can aford to pay a lot for gas.

kristy Guest

gas stations are frequent but keep in mind if you travel at night a lot of the smaller town gas stations close at nightor are a mile or two off the interstate. if you drive at night at all i would refill the tank at 1/2 full as soon as you hit a gas station right off the interstate. it might be totally unnecessary but better safe than sorry.

4. Default

I agree with Kristy (and that's not necessarily because of my love of all redheads) when she told you to fill up your tank more frequently. There are a few areas out west when you can get into trouble if something were to happen to your car. My best advice is to stick with the interstate highways when you travel in very desolate areas. A small portion of federal highway dollars goes to keeping small gas and service stations afloat so that they may assist travelers.

You don't have to carry extra gas (it's hazardous, regardless of the container it's in) but what you DO have to carry with you are a couple of gallons of water. Whether for the car or for you, it's the one essential that many people go without.

ab

Default Suggestions for your trip

You may be interested in going to the NATIONAL PARKS enroute. They truly show the beauty of the varying landscapes of America. You can locate and read about them at www.nps.gov/parks.html

In case you are more familiar with METRIC, 100 kilometres per hour is about 55 miles per hour (for example). 50 kilometres per hour is 30 miles per hour. The rental car speedometer will be in MILES. Also, you won't likely be able to rent a standard transmission car. They will all be automatics.

GEORGE FRANKEL Guest

Default GASSING UP

MAC: IT COST THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY TO RUN ON A FULL TANK AS IT DOES ON AN EMPTY TANK I LIKE TO STOP EVERY COUPLE OF HOURS TO TAKE A WALK AROUND THE CAR DRINK SOME JUICE OR WATER OR PICK UP A LOCAL PAPER (YOU CAN FIND OUT ALOT ABOUT AN AREA FOR LESS THAN .50 ) I LOVE EMPTY ROADS NOT EMPTY TANKS FILL UP AND GO. TAKE THAT WORRY AWAY. HAVE A GOOD TRIP. GEO.F