AJ Guest

Default Road Trip with motorcycles

WHO WANTS TO JOIN ME IN A AROUND THE COUNTRY ROAD TRIP ON MOTORCYCLES. LEAVING FROM VEGAS TO GO ANY WHERE FOR 1 MONTH TRIP. LEAVING LATE JUNE CAN BE AGREED ON. I AM A 33 YR OLD MALE WITH A 2002 HONDA V- TWIN.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    WHO WANTS TO JOIN ME IN A AROUND THE COUNTRY ROAD TRIP ON MOTORCYCLES. LEAVING FROM VEGAS TO GO ANY WHERE FOR 1 MONTH TRIP. LEAVING LATE JUNE CAN BE AGREED ON. I AM A 33 YR OLD MALE WITH A 2002 HONDA V- TWIN.
    I'm planning a trip from Bellingham, WA to Sturgis (arrive August 9th) on to Nashville, Maryland, the Carolinas, down the coast to Key West, FL, back to Nashville for a rest up, back on the road through Mississippi, West thru New Orleans, Texas, Tuscon, San Diego, and back north to home again. I like to ride hard and long unless I get distracted by the scenery or something - food. I ride a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600. Figure it will take me about a month.

Default What Can We Do for You?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

So, Tom, are you looking for people to join you? Ideas on what to see along the way? Tips on how to make a bike ride more enjoyable?

By the way - I'm impressed at your stamina and sense of adventure! Best of luck on your trip.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

So, Tom, are you looking for people to join you? Ideas on what to see along the way? Tips on how to make a bike ride more enjoyable?

By the way - I'm impressed at your stamina and sense of adventure! Best of luck on your trip.

AZBuck
    Good morning. Yes to all your questions. I'm up for an adventure. I'm somewhat flexible on where I go. I'd like to join a “gang” of 1, 2, or 3 fellow travelers with similar interests, good road bikes, and "middle of the road" kind of personal discipline. Not sure how to go about finding such needles in the haystack of bikers in the world.
    I’ve only taken one road trip before on the bike – to So. California last year – so I’m a novice at seeing the country from a bike. I’ve always flown over the middle of America and don’t know what there is to stop and see from ground level. I’m only planning on spending a couple hours in Sturgis – look see, buy a t-shirt, and head out to the Badlands and points East and South.
    I was in Key West just after Hurricane Wilma and decided I’d like to go there on my bike – from one corner of the continental USA to another.

Default Some 'Not to Miss' Places

On a trip such as you're planning, there are so many things to see and do that I want to make sure that you don't miss any that, in hindsight, I would sorely regret having missed. This can't be much more than a listing at this point, but hopefully it will give you some ideas, and clue others into what a great ride you've got ahead of you. So, without further ado, and in geographical order:

Devil's Tower in northeastern Wyoming
    All of South Dakota, including the Corn Palace in Mitchell
    Amana Colonies in Iowa
    Blue Ridge Parkway, of course
    Eastern Shore of Maryland - Chincoteague and Assateague in particular
    Pumpkin Chunkin' Contest in Millsboro, Delaware if you're there in November
    Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel
    Outer Banks of North Carolina and the ferry ride across Pamlico Sound
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Savannah, Georgia
    FDR's Little White House in Warm Springs, Georgia
    Shiloh Battlefield in southern Tennessee
    Kartchner Caverns in southern Arizona

and, of course, the view over the handlebars. Enjoy!

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-20-2006 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Can't believe I left out the Outer Banks!