imported_Chad Guest

Hi all-

Myself and a few friends are planning on taking US-20 coast-to-coast this summer (Boston-Newport, OR). We have about 2 weeks to get it done. So, leaving time for stopovers in Chicago and Yellowstone, that's about 300 miles per day. Can anyone out there give me an estimate as to how many hours a day that would take? Just doing the math says 300 miles/40 mph = ... whatever, 7-ish hours, but is that a reasonable guess? Thanks in advance!

mac nelson Guest

Default US 20 coast to coast

Chad: Would you believe my wife and I did almost exactly that last summer? From western New York to Newport Or, actually, and we're working on a book on US 20. Your estimates are fine, depending on how much you want to stop and do along the way, and there's LOTS of that. 300 miles a day is actually a low average for just the driving; but when you get to Yellowstone or Chicago, how can you not stop and spend time with the bears and the geysers or at Wrigley Field? (You can't.) I know you've got time budgeted for these, but I bet it's not enough. (It takes at least two full days to see the highlights in Yellowstone--my idea of the greatest place in America--and four would be much better. I never want to leave! Get reservations soon unless you're camping.) I'd plan to do twice 300 miles a day on some easy and rather empty stretches (e.g., most of Iowa and Nebraska, much of Idaho and Oregon). US 20 is practically a superhighway, 4-lane divided, in much of the midwest, though cities like Cleveland and Toledo slow you down a lot. Once you get across the Mississippi, traffic is minimal, so you can make good time without driving like a nut. Don't miss the aquarium in Newport, and the beach is neat--great tidal pools. Check out Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho, and the Dunes Nat Lakeshore in Indiana. NW Nebraska has some neat stuff, esp. Fort Robinson and the Sandhills. (Maybe take a day off 20 to see the Black Hills? If so, don't miss Wind Cave Nat Park.) Cody Wyoming is fun, as are all the national forests around Y-stone. Get a bit off 20 and see Mesa Falls in e. Idaho, and the backs of the Tetons. 20 is a great road. Have a blast! MN

I'm going to be doing something similar, NJ-OR. However, I am thinking of going via CO, UT & CA rather than the most direct route. I was wondering how much longer this rather large detour would take me and whether anybody has any suggestions for such a route? Thanks!

I'm going to be doing something similar, NJ-OR. However, I am thinking of going via CO, UT & CA rather than the most direct route. I was wondering how much longer this rather large detour would take me and whether anybody has any suggestions for such a route? Thanks!