Thread: Other sites?

imported_David Jolley Guest

Default Only 3 stops planned on 2 week trip.

I am making a counter-clockwise round trip from Michigan to Utah stopping at Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone on the way to, and Grand Canyon on the way back. I need to find more to do. Anybody know what else would be fun for 3 kids on the road? Ages 7,5 and 2.

Don Woodmancy Guest

Default Utah Side Trip

I'm not sure how I would route it given the spots you say you're planning to visit but there is a little-known National Park that fascinates kids (of all ages). Dinosaur National Monument(www.nps.gov/dino/) is near Vernal, Utah, southeast of Salt Lake City on the route between Salt Lake and Denver. A side benefit of that route is, for my money, the trip from Salt Lake to Denver on US-40 is one of the two or three most scenic and magnificent drives in the country. If you go that way before going to the Grand Canyon then double back across I-80 to Grand Junction then head south toward Durango on US-50/550, you will have seen the best that Colroado has to offer, both along I70 and then south down the "Million Dollar Highway". Just west of Durange, you can also make a stop at Mesa Verde National Park which is also a one-of-a-kind place to visit.

John Wise Guest

Default trip stops

In West Yellowstone is an animal park where the kids can see bears and if I'm not mistaken, wolves. Near the Grand Canyon they'd love the river float down the Colorado, it's safe, slow, and a boat ride! You can catch this 15 mile float in Page, AZ at Lake Powell with Wilderness River Adventures. On your way back to Michigan, stop in Durango, CO for the narrow gauge steam train to the old mining town of Silverton in the San Juan Mountains, cliffs, mountains, and the place of some famous filmings such as Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid.