JM Guest

Default suggestions for newbie

Hello to all. Just want some info from those who have the experience. I've traveled lots but not much in the US, an oversight which I plan to remedy soon... I've been thinking about doing a roadtrip but must confess I don't even know where to start. I live in Miami Florida and the farthest I've ever driven is to Orlando. I can take a week off from work in January and would like some suggestions on where I can go and what to do in that amount of time. I'd prefer to go somewhere out of state but I know there's lots in Florida I haven't seen so any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

JM Guest

Hello to all. Just want some info from those who have the experience. I've traveled lots but not much in the US, an oversight which I plan to remedy soon... I've been thinking about doing a roadtrip but must confess I don't even know where to start. I live in Miami Florida and the farthest I've ever driven is to Orlando. I can take a week off from work in January and would like some suggestions on where I can go and what to do in that amount of time. I'd prefer to go somewhere out of state but I know there's lots in Florida I haven't seen so any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

JM Guest

Don Woodmancy Guest

Default SE Road Trips

A couple of suggestions - Depending on your interests, a trip up the Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina coasts can be wonderful. I'd stop in St Augustine (for the history), Savannah (for the beauty) and Charleston (for the evocation of the old and elegant south). Or, a trip to the Gulf Coast is also fun. I like Pensacola (for the drinking and fishing), Fairhope and Point Clear (for the relaxation), and Mobile (just because I like it). If you're really ambitious, a trip to New Orleans and Cajun country is an adventure. Have a great trip!

Don Woodmancy Guest

Default SE Road Trip

The possibilites abound! I've always enjoyed driving up the coast from Miami. I'd stop in St Augustine (for the history, Savannah (for the beauty), and Charleston (for its evocation of the elegant old south). For a little more interactive trip, I like the gulf coast. Pensacola (for the drinking and fishing) Fair Hope and Point Clear (for the relaxation), and Mobile (just because I like it). Of course, going a little further to New Orleans and Cajun country is always an adventure!. Turning the other direction, I always enjoy a visit to Key West. A popular slogan on T-shirts says it all: "Key West - Where the Wierd Turn Pro!". Have a great trip.

A GREAT PLACE IN FLA. TO VISIT IS THE GULF COAST, PARTICULARLY SARASOTA...HAS ONE OF THE BEST BEACHES IN THE STATES (SIESTA KEY) THERE'S LOTS OF SMALLER ISLANDS ALONG THE GULF WHICH ARE MORE SECLUDED AND JUST AS GORGEOUS! IF YOU LIKE THE BEACH BUT WITH A MORE "HAPPENING" SCENE, THEN CLEARWATER BEACH IS THE WAY TO GO.

7. Default With 9 days you could go ANYWHERE in the USA!!

But since you prbably aren't as nuts as I am, I'd mention the Naval Aviation Museum at the Air Station at Pensacola, Fla. The USS Alabama in Mobile, as well as the new ship in New Orleans, the LST 325(all have websites). There is the USS Yorktown in Chareleston. There is Ground Zero in New York, as well as the other common tourist sites like the Statue of Librty, Battery Park, etc. And The Mall at Washington D.C.is great and the hole in the Pentagon across the river is close. There is this great hang glider place on Lookout Mountain, Tenn(Chattannooga). In April in Lakeland, Fl there is Sun-n-Fun. It is an aviation gathering with every kind of flying machine imaginable. I guess you have a lot to pick from. Enjoy. Just don't keep putting it off.