dkang Guest

Default newyork to boston roadtrip

hi, i'm planning to go on a short road trip during thanksgiving (5 days) from new york city to boston. What would be a good route? (through connecticut and rhode island to boston?)

also in MA, do you think we will have enough to time visit both boston and marth'as vineyard? thank you

dawoon

imported_Steve Guest

Default NY to Boston

Hi Dawoon,

If you want the quickest route to Boston from NY, then yes it would be 95 through CT and RI to 93 just outside of Boston. CT is actually the worst part of the journey. RI will take less than a half-hour to get through.

I lived in RI for 27 years before moving to FL. It was only an hour drive from Providence to Boston. I was also able to hit the beginning of the NJ Turnpike in less than six hours. So I am guessing you have about an 8-hour trip in front of you.

There is plenty of time to see Martha's Vineyard. If you really want a nice ride take 195 out of Providence over to Route 6 in Mass along Cape Cod. Coming back out you can pick up 495 and it will bring you right into Beantown. This time of year however, The Cape is pretty dead.

If you plan on spending any time in the city your best bet is to ride the T (subway) around. It is really the quickest way around the city.

If you want to see some offbeat sights from Boston, I have captured most of them on my web site.

<a href="http://www.gethep.net/road/">www.gethep.net/road/</a>

Feel free to write if you would like additional info on anything and have a great trip.

Steve / Back On Tack

Default Thanks for the posting

Steve,

Interesting site you have created. Thanks for the link to RTA. One correction: our erstwhile home was destroyed in a wildfire in 1993 not 1996.

Publisher

4. Default

I know this post is old...but I wanted to give a reality-check time-wise as far as driving across RI. It will not take only 1/2 hour. It would take approximately 50 minutes to drive from the CT border in southern RI to the MA border in northern RI following Rt-95.

Depending on where you're going in Boston, sometimes it's faster to take 95/128 instead of 93N and get off at Rt-9, following 9 into Brookline/Boston. We learned this the hard way when we took 93 instead to get to concert and got stuck in traffic due to a Red Sox game.

--Nate

Default Old Post -- Current Info -- (Always Appreciated)

Quote Originally Posted by NatefromRI View Post
    Depending on where you're going in Boston, sometimes it's faster to take 95/128 instead of 93N and get off at Rt-9, following 9 into Brookline/Boston. We learned this the hard way when we took 93 instead to get to concert and got stuck in traffic due to a Red Sox game.
    Nate, Thanks for the information -- This level of on-the-ground useful info is what sets this Forum apart from the other offerings found on the greater WWW.

Mark