Mireille Guest

Default Phoenix to Albuquerque

Hi. I am the senior editor at En Route, the Air Canada magazine. We are sending a writer on a road trip from Pheonix to Albuquerque, and I am looking for any good advice or tips on things to see, avoid, places to stay, etc... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default It is the little things

Road Greetings Mireille,
    A first thought might be to correct the spellling -- Phoenix is the preferred spelling in Arizona. The fountain in Fountain Hills is pretty impressive.

There are so places to stop and explore in between. What route is your writer intending to go and how long will she/he have to complete it?

RW

Janine Phariss Guest

Default Phoenix

I haven't been here long, but a must see is the Boyce
    Arboretum [sp?], a great, informative place out by Superior.

John Wise Guest

Default Late info

Wish I'd seen this earlier: From Phoenix, go north toward Flagstaff and zip through Sedona and continue on to Flagstaff on Oak Creak Canyon Scenic Byway. Head east and stop at Walnut Canyon National Monument, from here there are two possibilities, north to Grand Falls on the Navajo Reservation, a seldom visited waterfall that is overwhelming, this coming from someone who's been to Niagara half a dozen times. Else head east and stop at Meteor Crater. On the way east stop in Holbrook at the WigWam TeePee Motel - a landmark and eat at Joe & Aggies - all of this is on the old Route 66 historic highway, Joe & Aggies Cafe has some great Huevos Rancheros, be sure to get the green sauce with them.

You are now close to Petrified Forest National Park, either continue on Hwy 40 to Albuquerque or head north on road 12 in Arizona to Window Rock, the capital of the Navajo Nation, I'd detour and head over road number 9 to Chaco Culture National Historic Park and then head down to Albuquerque.

An alternative to this route is to head out of Phx north on 89 to Payson on the Mogollon Rim towards St. Johns and on to the Zuni Reservation, from here go north to Gallup - Route 66 and east to Albuquerque.

Sorry this is so late, wish the other writers could have been more informative.

John Wise

John Wise Guest

Default Late info

Wish I'd seen this earlier: From Phoenix, go north toward Flagstaff and zip through Sedona and continue on to Flagstaff on Oak Creak Canyon Scenic Byway. Head east and stop at Walnut Canyon National Monument, from here there are two possibilities, north to Grand Falls on the Navajo Reservation, a seldom visited waterfall that is overwhelming, this coming from someone who's been to Niagara half a dozen times. Else head east and stop at Meteor Crater. On the way east stop in Holbrook at the WigWam TeePee Motel - a landmark and eat at Joe & Aggies - all of this is on the old Route 66 historic highway, Joe & Aggies Cafe has some great Huevos Rancheros, be sure to get the green sauce with them.

You are now close to Petrified Forest National Park, either continue on Hwy 40 to Albuquerque or head north on road 12 in Arizona to Window Rock, the capital of the Navajo Nation, I'd detour and head over road number 9 to Chaco Culture National Historic Park and then head down to Albuquerque.

An alternative to this route is to head out of Phx north on 89 to Payson on the Mogollon Rim towards St. Johns and on to the Zuni Reservation, from here go north to Gallup - Route 66 and east to Albuquerque.

Sorry this is so late, wish the other writers could have been more informative.

John Wise