imported_Kate Guest

Default any advice

help us..... my friend and i are going cross country in the summer of 2002. we are going to be buying a van and have it all decked out. we know we want to go out west. we live in jersey. any particular places we should see. we love to travel as musch as we can. the things we enjoy our museums and hiking and camping and a lot of outdoor things. please help us! thanks

Randy Gartner Guest

Default 2002 Road trip

I would suggest staying at State or Federal Parks,they're cheaper and ususally nicer than commercial parks. Get a good camping directory ( like Trailer Life or Woodalls) at Waldens or Borders. It gives directions and tells you about camping facilities.If you belong or know someone who belongs to AAA get their Tourbooks for the States your going through. It will tell you about places to see in each area.We like alot of the out of the way places,especially historic places like museums & battlefields. There are plenty of great National & State Parks like Custer State Park & The Badlands in South Dakota. Grand Canyon,Canyon De Chelle,Jerome,Tuzigoot & Ft Verde in Arizona. Have fun.

Virg Guest

Default van trip

Do not miss the Cowboy hall of Fame and Abberqueke N.M.
    Both worth it!!! Also stop at Grand Canyon Caverns. Besides the Grand Canyon!!!

4. Default The west is a BIG place!!

Not to belittle your planning, but the west is an infinte place. And if you are like most of us and have finite time to travel with, then I suggest that you try to pin down what you are most interested in. There is Old West history, Geography, and even modern marvels. Trust me. There is too much to take in on a thousand trips(plus the darn places all keep changing!!). Don't try to take it all in on your first try.

imported_Dave Guest

Default Big trip planning

Kate,
    I'm in the exact same boat. I'm from VA planning a big trip out west for the summer. It does seem like their is way too much to see even for a time period of like 6 weeks. I'm thinkin national parks, lots of mountains and small towns in places like colorado, Utah and arizona. The California coastline sounds like a sweet drive too. What I've started doing is looking at tourism websites that are usually sponsored by each state. But I'd love to find out about other cool places that are less touristy. If anyone has suggestions for good Mountain Biking, hiking/camping and must-see places along the way please respond with suggestions.

Oh also, I was thinking about taking a van or a suburban. Anyone have thoughts on whether or not a 4wd vehicle might be better. Alaska and Baja Mexico are two possibilities where this might become an issue.

One more thing. I'm also thinking about driving to alaska via the alaska highway but it's like 1500 miles long. Would this just be a waste of time or is the drive worth it. I'd probably take the ferry back in either case.

Thanks all,
    dave

imported_Dave Guest

Kate,
    I'm in the exact same boat. I'm from VA planning a big trip out west for the summer. It does seem like their is way too much to see even for a time period of like 6 weeks. I'm thinkin national parks, lots of mountains and small towns in places like colorado, Utah and arizona. The California coastline sounds like a sweet drive too. What I've started doing is looking at tourism websites that are usually sponsored by each state. But I'd love to find out about other cool places that are less touristy. If anyone has suggestions for good Mountain Biking, hiking/camping and must-see places along the way please respond with suggestions.

Oh also, I was thinking about taking a van or a suburban. Anyone have thoughts on whether or not a 4wd vehicle might be better. Alaska and Baja Mexico are two possibilities where this might become an issue.

One more thing. I'm also thinking about driving to alaska via the alaska highway but it's like 1500 miles long. Would this just be a waste of time or is the drive worth it. I'd probably take the ferry back in either case.

Thanks all,
    dave

imported_Dave Guest

Kate,

Thanks all,
    dave

MRRR Guest

Default road trip

we're planning to go around the states. Rent a van, put there six people PLUS all there stuff and hit the road. we are leaving from Washignton, DC and want to do South, West, North, back to DC in 30 days. Has anyone done that? Any ideas what the the main points of interest? All of them would be very appreciated. Thanx. MRRR