imported_Kate Guest

Default Minneapolis to Yellowstone - stops along the way??

I'm planning a trip from Mpls to Yellowstone and back again, the week prior to Labor Day. We've planned stops in the Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Estes Park and Cheyenne. Any advice regarding these stops? Would you advise any additional stops? Where? Has anyone been to Idaho Falls or Salt Lake City? Would it be worth widening our loop to include these areas? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

imported_Tracy Guest

Default Salt Lake City

I went to Salt Lake a couple of years ago and I didn't see anything so great. We did visit Snowbird and it was kind of cool to ride the tram. There is also a wonderful zoo there if you plan to take children with you.

Don Woodmancy Guest

Default Mpls to Yellowstone

If it were me and I had the time, I'd cut a little south in Nebraska or at Cheyenne and take the mountain route starting in Denver. If you take I-70 out of Denver and then head northwest on US-40 at Empire, CO, I can almost guarantee you won't be disappointed. It's a spectacular drive. Then, heading north out of SLC on I-15, take US-89 at Brigham City. That will lead you through Logan Canyon, past Bear Lake, and through Grand Teton Park into Yellowstone. It is also a wonderfully scenic drive. Have a great trip.

imported_Paul Guest

Be sure and make the Bear Tooth Pass drive from the northeast entrance of Yellowstone towards Red Lodge.

Also, one of the most beautiful and lonely drives in existence is highway 287 through Wyoming. If you want to bypass (and I mean *bypass*) civilization going between Jackson and northern Colorado, this is the road to take. Gas up early.