Doug Clift Guest

Default Anyone consider trying this?

Just curious if any one has considered using AT&T PocketNet Service and DirecPC. Will it work?

Default What advantage do you envision?

Pocket Net uses the CDPD network and provides limited access to the general internet. Are you considering using the Pocket Net as the uplink for the DirecPC? The primary problem with the CDPD network is that it can be slower than the analog and the DirectPC system had no provision for connecting in a wireless mode on the uplink.

However, DirecPC is advertising a roll-out of two way internet access in 4th quarter of 2000. Tachyon.net is already in the space, albeit with the larger antenna.

Perhaps you have a more creative approach for this network in mind? Please share your idea with us.

RW

Doug Clift Guest

Default Tachyon.net

Thanks for the quick response :) I would be using the PocketNet Service for the uplink signal. I figure this would be economical if AT&T just charges by the kilobyte and not how long you are on. Has anyone heard of a beta test for the DirecPC system. I think I might have to check in to it.

As for the other system you suggested:
    Is the tachyon system portable enough I could install it on a 5th wheel? And the question that always determines everything: How much does it cost?

Default Tachyon.net is not a true mobile device

Doug,

At the moment, I can't see any reason why the PocketNet service wouldn't work as the upleg for the DirecPC products, although it is likely that the system being offered by DirecPC may still be more economical (I have been unable to obtain any pricing information as yet).

Tachyon's service requires the use of a receiver nearly a meter across and also requires some specialized equipment to aim and target the signal. If you go to their website, some of the current pricing information is available, ( I will be posting an article about Tachyon next week). www.tachyon.net

Let me know what you find out in regards to the PocketNet in this application.

RW