Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Online with Nokia 6160

A recent posting by Craig, (sitdown@hotbot.com) queried using the Nokia 6160 to connect to the internet. Is anyone using this handset now in this way? What cables & etc. are you using? In what areas of the US have you been successful?

Jerry Hayes Guest

Default 6160

I am using the 6160 with a 3COM modem (#3CMX556) and Nokia 3CNOKA6 cable. I use it with AT&T's One-Rate Plan. The setup is a no-brainer and the system works great.
    Jerry

Default 6160 Field Intell

Road Greetings Jerry,

Thanks for your report of success with the Nokia 6160.

>I am using the 6160 with a 3COM modem (#3CMX556) and Nokia 3CNOKA6
    cable. I use it with AT&T's One-Rate Plan. The setup is a no-brainer and
    the system works great.

I have begun field testing a Nokia 6162 using the Digital One Rate Plan service in the desert areas of southern Nevada and although I really like the phone, the coverage has been about what I guessed -- OK in the cities and along the narrow bands of the interstate hwy corridors -- but non-existent elsewhere. I am especially interested in viewing the billings for the "unexpected" roaming charges encountered in the non-AT&T areas.

RW

Jerry Hayes Guest

Default News from the Roaming Front Lines

There will be no roaming charges per AT&T. They absorb them in areas they do not cover under the One Rate Plan.

I have used it in many areas. We were in 20 states last year and did not pay a single roaming charge!

Jerry,

Brandt Redd Guest

Default Slow speeds and short batteries

I've been testing the same setup (3Com modem, cable, and Nokia 6100) The best speed I could achieve was 4800bps. Worse, the cable forces the phone into analog mode which consumes the battery at about five times the usual rate.

Have your results been better?
    BR

Default Is CDPD an option in your area yet?

Author: Brandt Redd (bredd@nospam.MyFamilyInc.com)
    Subject: Slow speeds and short batteries
    Greetings Brandt,

RW: Long time no hear!

BR: I've been testing the same setup (3Com modem, cable, and Nokia 6100) The
    best speed I could achieve was 4800bps. Worse, the cable forces the
    phone into analog mode which consumes the battery at about five times
    the usual rate.

RW: This is the first time I have heard about the battery consuming problem when in analog mode. Is CDPD an option for you in Utah?

Jerry Hayes Guest

Default 6160 Battery Life

I do not see where the 6160 uses any more battery life than normal transmitting & receiving. Any T&R is going to use more battery life than in standby mode. As far as 4800 baud, this is as good as it will be until we get digital service for this application.
    Jerry

Default Batteries & 6160 series

I wonder if Brandt fully discharged his Nokia's batteries the recommended three times? I haven't noticed much change in battery usage periods in the different modes.

Plus, in regards to Jerry's last posting: Are you strictly operating in analog at the 4.8K rates or in digital?

Mark

Jerry Hayes Guest

Default 6160 battery Life

All my email downloading is in analog mode. Each time you dial up, the phone automatically goes into analog mode.

Jerry

Jerry Hayes Guest

Default 6160 Battery Life

All email downloads are in analog mode as the phone automatically goes to analog when the cable is connected.

Jerry