1. Default A few days in Arizona in February..

We land in Las Vegas and expect to drive on the morning of February 25th and return back to Las Vegas on the evening of March 1st. Off the 6 days, we need to spend 2 nights in Tucson (meet friends).

Looking for places to see, a scenic trip. No big cities, just parks and views. Need help planning it out. Where to head to as we start out of Las Vegas on the 25th.

Your suggestions are deeply appreciated…

Default Monuments and the Mother Road

Although Arizona is rightfully known as the Grand Canyon State, there are many more interesting sites in the state that are part of the National Park System. They're just not parks but rather National Monuments. Fortunately for you, several are on an easy but not direct route between Phoenix and Las Vegas. They include Montezuma Castle National Monument, Tuzigoot National Monument, Walnut Canyon National Monument and Sunset Crater National Monument, while Casa Grande Ruins National Monument is between Phoenix and Tucson.

Also, AZ-66 (formerly US-66) between Seligman and Kingman through Peach Springs is (I think) the longest remaining stretch of the original Mother Road roadbed and it provided the visual inspiration for the animated movie, Cars.

AZBuck

Default A nice loop perhaps.

If you headed along Route 66 through Peach Springs and down towards Montezuma castle, 2 places Buck mentioned, then Sedona would be a good overnight stop with lovely Red rock scenery. Using AZ89A would also take you right by Slide rock SP. To create a loop and have the chance to see other things in the other direction you could head through Gila Bend to Lake Havasu and then if you wanted another taste of Route 66 (and arguably one of the best sections) you could detour through the Historic 66 town of Oatman. If you haven't stopped at Hoover dam before it's worth considering, they do a tour of the Dam, or a quick stop just for the views of the Dam, Lake and mountains is pretty cool!

4. Default

Thank you very much! Hope weather cooperates but our plans are set. Land in Las Vegas on the 24th at 3:00 p.m., pick up rental car and drive to Kingman, AZ for the night. Then follows 3 nights and 2 full days in Sedona,driving then to Tucson on the morning of the 28th…

Default The Hoover Dam is spectacular

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Land in Las Vegas on the 24th at 3:00 p.m., pick up rental car and drive to Kingman, AZ for the night.
    So, depending upon your luggage, you should reach the car rental facility by 4:30 pm -- which means that it will be getting dark by the time you hit the road.

As tempting as it might be to see the Strip -- I-15 and all areas on the Strip between Russell Road and Sahara will likely be very congested due to road construction on I-15, It could take you a couple of hours to drive along the Strip. I really enjoy driving the Strip and do it at least once a week in a given month -- but it is truly a mess right now. Lane closures and other issues will still be a problem when you visit.

The Hoover Dam is spectacular -- even at night -- if you can fit it in, I would suggest you stop at the bridge parking area and check it out before heading to Kingman. Exit I-11 at NV-172 (which is the Hoover Dam Access Road) -- First parking lot past the Security Check-in.

Mark