Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Panama City, FL to Seattle, WA

Hello Team,

I've got a road trip planned from Panama City, FL to Seattle, WA. I've been monitoring the weather and don't really want to drive through the northern part of the US. Made the trip two other times, both early fall. Beautiful drive.

What route do you recommend?
    Departure on 11/01/23.

I would like to avoid driving in icy conditions if possible.

Thanks,

Joe

Welcome to RTA!

If you don't want to drive through the northern states, be prepared to drive an extra 500 miles and one extra day. With exceptions below, take I-10 to I-5.

At Slidell, take I-12 to Baton Rouge back to I-10.
    Be prepared for a lot of traffic through Houston, there's no good bypass.
    At San Antonio, take exit 581 to I-410 north to I-35 south back to I-10.
    At Phoenix, take AZ-202 west around downtown.
    To avoid most of the LA traffic, at Redlands take CA-210 west to I-215 north to I-15 north to US-395 north to CA-58 west to Bakersfield. Take CA-99 north to CA-46 west to I-5.

3. Default

glc thanks for the welcome.

My current departure has changed. Could be in the next three weeks. I've downloaded just about every 511 app for states in that regions. Based on the webcam feed, it doesn't look too bad at this time .

Do you known if the interstate is keep on decent shape? Are shut down often?

I don't have experience driving in snow/icy conditions. Will be driving a 2004 vw jetta. Not sure it accepts cables or chains, gonna research. Just put on a set of continental extreme dws06 plus.

Thanks

In bad weather, usually the interstates are given first treatment. Then US Highways and state highways. Our commerce must get through. The interstates are also the last ones closed, for the same reason. Of course, these are general "rules of thumb", not carved in granite.

Your best bet if the weather turns bad??? Get off the roads and wait it out. Get a hotel.

Donna

Having all the tools to hand to check road and weather conditions is a great thing to have, to allow the time for your trip to be done safely, plus some added time for interuptions is essential. As said above, if it gets really nasty just find somewhere safe and stay put. Sometimes you can spend a lot more money and time adding miles trying to avoid the weather than you would do just working with it.

6. Default

Really appreciate all the feedback. Plans changed. We now have another week added to the trip. Depart is 12/11 after 3pm.

We would like to spend 3/4 days in Napa and the Redwood national park area. Split time between both. Napa, just to check out. More time at redwood.

Any recommendations on routes to take? Was going follow google maps but wonding of you guys could recommend alternative /scenic route.

Thanks,

Joe

Default It covers a large area.

Highway 101 goes from Napa into the heart of the Redwoods where you could detour onto several parkways, The Avenue of the giants in Humboldt SP for one. Near Orick is the Ladybird Johnson grove and just north of there is the Newton B Drury parkway through the Redwoods, there are tourist areas like the Trees of mystery, old towns like Ferndale and of course some spectacular coastline as well. I think you should look at a good old paper map, do some research to see where you want to go and what you want to do and use Google as a tool to assist you, not to guide you. If you have specific questions about your plans we are happy to answer them and add additional info if needed but you need to sort the basics really so we can help. Muir woods is under 50 miles south of Napa and near the Golden gate recreation area and the northern Redwoods are up to 300 miles away so it's a large area and will need planning.

Default Newton B. Drury Parkway

About three weeks ago, I drove three segments of the Avenue of the Giants. What is really cool about this road is that since it parallels US-101 -- you can jump off and on as you wish. This time of year, mid-week, there is almost no traffic.

Like Dave mentioned, there is no shortage of scenic drives to take and enjoy the coastal redwood forest. Here is an article about the Newton B. Drury Parkway, I've driven a number of times.

Mark

Default Backroad into Napa

Another road, that I really enjoyed is the "backroad" into Napa. Basically Hwy-12 to Glen Ellen and then take Trinity Road east to Dry Creek Road and then south to CA-29 in Napa and that way you can see most of the BIG WINERIES as you make your way south.

Oh, I forgot which way you were going -- reverse the directions on the previous posts to be going north!