I stumbled across this great, informative forum while researching ideas for a road trip I am planning for July 2011.
My girlfriend and I have 15 days to travel from Montreal to Las Vegas for an event, and back.
I'm hoping to get some of your suggestions for must-see attractions and best scenic roads.
We are not into the whole touristy thing, we prefer a local experience in all the cities we'll visit.
Here is a rough itinerary for the way there.
- Head down to Boston
- Drive west to Chicago, stopping at whatever city/town along the way that seems interesting
- Head west through Omaha or Kansas City
- Keep going west to Utah where we will drive down State Route 12
- Arrive in Vegas
Is this feasible in a week? We'd maybe do 3 overnight stops on the way.
On the way back, we will go through the southern US
- Head to AZ (either Flagstaff, Phoenix or Tucson) (?)
- Then Albuquerque and Santa Fe
- Dallas or Austin, Texas
- Then Memphis, maybe Nashville
- Depending on time, either keep going east to NC or northeast towards home
As you can see, this is a very rough itinerary and I'm open to any suggestions on scenic routes and interesting cities for this trip.
I know 15 days is not much time, but we'll try to make the most of it.
Our choices were either fly to Vegas just for the weekend to attend the event, or make this a more memorable trip by driving instead.
I appreciate your time and suggestions. :)