Hi fellow drivers
I am an a Norwegian planning to drive across USA this summer together with my girlfriend.
It is 10 years since me and my girlfriend had a car holiday in USA. (then it was New York, Washington, the keys and Miami) So it is time now to do it again :-)
We started to work on this idea today and we are am planning to use 3 weeks on this holiday.
We will start in New York and end in Los Angeles or San Francisco (depending what is best driving wise)(we are planning to fly back to New York and then Europe/Norway since it is cheaper to buy a return ticket for the same place)
We have been looking on the map today and the places we currently have put on the map is. [Update last 01.09]
1. Chicago (Been there many times without my girlfriend, fantastic city that I want to show here)
2. St. Charles - The home of Cadillac Ranch :-) (http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=2249549723) (been there many times)(just gonna drive through)
2. Minneapolis (Mall of America http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mall_of_America)
3. Mount Rushmore National Memorial (I guess this is something we have to see)
4. Denver (No specific reason)
5. Monument Valley
6. Grand Canyon Village
7. Grand Canyon Skywalk (This is something we have to see)
8. Hoover Dam, AZ, United States (This is something we have to see)
9. Las Vegas
10. Santa Barbara
11. San Francisco
I have been checking car rental companies and I see that I can rent a Cadillac STS for around $2800 for three weeks at Hertz (with pickup La Guardia New York and Return San Fransisco). They don't sell this car in Norway but I guess it is ok. I see I can save some few dollars taking a Toyota, but living in a country where the government hate cars and tax everything so a little family car costs $80.000 - $90.000 I want to drive a OK car for once in my life. :-)
1. What time is the best time to drive in the summer. We are thinking about august.
2. What places should I see in addition. (Denver/Santa Fee is not important at all an can be replaced with something else) . (other parts can also be replaced if there is good enough reasons, I am really a novice here so any suggestions are highly appreciated)
3. Giving 2-3 days in New York and some days in LA/San Francisco/LAS Vegas gives me around 14 days with driving. Is that ok? I see the distance is only 4000 miles. This summer I drove around 2800 miles in Norway in 5 days on much worse roads. This should give me some time for some sightseeing.
4. What kind of hotel chain is recommended. It has to be ok, but price is important.
5. Is Cadilac STS an OK car. Do you know of other companies that have better cars for same price?
The current map can be found here: [Updated after tips from members]
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Norwegian Driver :-)