Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For the benefit of us Yanks, could you define what a "people carrier" is, please?

Default Mini Van

To you "Yanks," it is classed as a mini van, the equivalent of a 7 seater such as the Dodge caravan or Chrysler Voyager. They got tagged as people carriers because of the extra seating and they are car derived. A mini van in the UK is normally thought of as a 12 seater vehicle on a truck chassis such as the Ford Transit or a VW transporter, a delivery van with windows and seats for delivering people instead of a cargo area.

I suspected that - and I doubt it will get 28 mpg except maybe cruising at 65 mph or less on level ground without a headwind. My stepdaughter has a Grand Caravan with a 3.3 liter V-6, and she gets about 18 in town and the absolute best she's seen on the highway is 29. For planning purposes, I'd use 20 to be safe.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    To you "Yanks," it is classed as a mini van, the equivalent of a 7 seater such as the Dodge caravan or Chrysler Voyager. They got tagged as people carriers because of the extra seating and they are car derived. A mini van in the UK is normally thought of as a 12 seater vehicle on a truck chassis such as the Ford Transit or a VW transporter, a delivery van with windows and seats for delivering people instead of a cargo area.
    They'd be the ones, we've had a price to rent at £1600 now, pick up NYC & drop off LAX, so we are 99% sure to be hiring now. I think the quote was for a Voyager, a newish one, which at leats means the mpg shouldn't be too hampered.

As for POI, I've heard a lot about Zion & bryce and it looks truly stunning. Is it accessible by car or will we have to walk some part of it?

Thanks for the other suggestions though, really can't wait to head over now. One more quick question though, how big is 'soccer' over there now, we will be spending a day at Daytona Beach with a 'football' and was wondering whether we will stick out like sore thumbs!

Thanks again all!

Liam

Major points of interest are accessible by car in Bryce and Zion. Of course, you can always see more by hiking some trails. You may want to study the official National Parks Service website, they have detailed maps for each park. Note that during highest visitation in Zion, not all roads are open for cars, but they have shuttle buses that travel these routes.

Soccer is not that big here yet, but you definitely won't stick out like a sore thumb. It's a lot more suitable for informal playing around than American football or baseball, and it's pretty hard to play basketball or hockey on a beach!

As I mentioned, for budgeting purposes you should plan on 20 mpg and $3 a gallon.

Default Shuttle bus.

As for POI, I've heard a lot about Zion & bryce and it looks truly stunning. Is it accessible by car or will we have to walk some part of it?
    All the National parks have paved roads but during the peak season a lot of parks run a free shuttle bus system to the Trail heads where you can decide if you want to walk. Some like Zion NP will not let private cars into the main part of the park and you can only use the bus. These are extremely frequent and a great way to explore. Zion and Bryce are both spectacular as are many others, you can get an idea if you care to look at my album's page.

we will be spending a day at Daytona Beach with a 'football' and was wondering whether we will stick out like sore thumbs!
    You might if you are good at "keepy up" and wear a Beckham style haircut !! ;-)

7. Default

Haha, thanks guys, really appreciate the advice. Had a look into the trails at Z&B and we'd be foolish not to head up that way to be honest. Still trying to fathom a few places from Miami to Austin to head to, New Orleans seems to be off the list now simply due to time constraints, hopefully the road to El Paso/Phoenix will throw up a few surprises!

8. Default points of interest...?

does anyone have any recommendations for points of interest/stuningscenary/things to do between Miami - Nashville - Austin - Pheonix?

Apart from this small stint I think we'll have enought to be going on with. We might even try catching a baseball game somewhere if anyone can recommend a team to follow :)

Thanks
    Liam

The only major league teams along that stretch are Florida (Miami), Tampa, Houston, Texas (Dallas), and Arizona (Phoenix).

I wouldn't recommend either of the Florida teams, as they both play in very bad parks that wouldn't give you a good feel for things. The Texas Rangers are the only team that are still in the playoff picture, and they play in a true outdoor baseball stadium, so that's probably the game I'd try to get to. Houston and Arizona both play in newer retractable roof stadiums, and both teams are pretty bad this year, so it should be easy to get tickets for any of those games.

10. Default Driver, Texas Ranger

Thanks Michael,
    We plan on having a few days in and around Texas so, if they have a game, we should be good to catch them play!