1. Default Country wide tour route

Hi,

I’d like to plan a comprehensive 48 (49?) state nationwide cross country tour (Maybe BC too). I did a search or three and have bought a book or two, but only found tours that covered parts or pieces of our country. I haven’t come across a tour that would be relatively efficient for seeing our entire country and meeting all of us.

I would have thought this wheel would have already been invented. Does anyone know where I could find a navigation aid like this? Not just a list of places to visit and things to see.

My details for those who care are: Time will not be a factor. I would expect to be in the southern states during the colder months and the northern states during the warmer months. I’d like to meet and engage with the ‘locals’ as much as meet fellow travelers and see the sights.

I’d be looking for a ‘Loop’ tour but as I’d be leaving from the Adirondacks of NYS, I expect a short ‘spur’ up into New England.

I currently plan to use a small engine, 2WD, long bed ‘compact’ pick-up with a cap. I’ll have cobbled a PVC frame/mattress/cot/sleeping bag/storage space arrangement with some other odds and ends in the back. Cost effective nights most often, but not always, especially if I find a place I’d like to stay for a short while.

So, where could I find a description of a generic ‘American Grand Tour’ that I could tweak as I need. Hasn’t somebody already figured out a route to see the whole country without having to go back and forth too many times? Can anyone here enlighten me?

Pax, vinni

Default Its been done dozens of times

Quote Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
    I haven’t come across a tour that would be relatively efficient for seeing our entire country and meeting all of us.
    Traveling a circuit of the lower 48 is relatively easy --
    meeting all of us
    sounds nearly impossible. There are several field reports listed on this page from people who have visited each state in the USA and this one provides more ideas.

There are a couple of young men on the road right now, creating such a route as they go -- you can read some of their journals here.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-06-2024 at 05:14 PM. Reason: removed the Quest-4 link

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Traveling a circuit of the But the very best route I have ever seen for visiting all 48 states in a very efficient manner is this one!
    THANKS MARK!

I was sure it had been/is being done!

I just couldn't find it!

v-
    Last edited by Tom_H007; 02-07-2024 at 02:40 AM. Reason: removed the Quest-4 link

Default Need a starting point and the time of year

If you would give the starting point and time of year that you choose to begin, it would be easier to suggest a possible route.

Please remember that this or any other suggestions would just be a starting point for you that you will deviate from as your likes and dislikes come into play.

I am almost overcome with envy and wish I had the time/money to make the journey with you.

Remember the journey is more important than the destination.
    Scotishbob

5. Default

Here's the path we're taking...it puts us in 48 states...some of state we just barely touch but we technically enter them. We leave for our trip in 34 days now I'm very excited!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-05-2024 at 08:55 AM.

Thank you for asking the question (and getting the answers) to the question I was thinking of asking! Great links, thanks so much! :)

7. Default

48StateBus -

sounds like a great trip! We're just starting to plan a cross country RV trip for next July - be sure to post about highlights from your trip!

8. Default

Dr. Randal S. Olson has computed the optimal road trip across the U.S., following these constraints:

1. The trip must make at least one stop in all 48 states in the contiguous U.S.

2. The trip would only make stops at National Natural Landmarks, National Historic Sites, National Parks, or National Monuments.

3. The trip must be taken by car and never leave the U.S.
    Last edited by Tom_H007; 02-07-2024 at 02:46 AM. Reason: add link