my boyfriend and I are moving cross-country (NY to LA) at the beginning of july. our schedule is not hard and fast but we'd like to take 14-18 days to get across. we know our basic route (based on both places we want to go and free places we have to stay) but we need some ideas for where to go in between. we are in our mid-20s and like doing active, fun things, and we are more interested in the natural/outdoorsy stuff more than seeing cities (though if there is a must see city, please let me know!)
Some things we want to do but haven't figured out where to do them are:
- go to a bourbon distillery (kentucky? tennessee?)
- eat some amazing BBQ
- go to a nascar race or monster truck show
- mountain biking (beginning to intermediate, with rentals)
- hot springs
- a corn farm that has tours
We plan on staying with friends, along with a handful of camping and a couple hotels along the way.
our route is tentatively as follows:
1. NYC to Niagara Falls (touristy but we've never seen it...) Anyone know anything cool to see/do on the slog through upstate/western NY State?
2. Niagara Falls to Ann Arbor via Ontario
3. Ann Arbor to Champaign IL
4. Champaign to Memphis or Nashville - we want some bourbon and BBQ on this leg but are not sure which city to go to or what's along the way. Don't care about Elvis. Or Dolly.
5. Tennessee to Austin TX - but via where? Any suggestions?
6. Austin TX to Big Bend National Park. Are the Big Bend hot springs open to the public? Is Big Bend worth the visit? Also, what to do in west Texas?
7. Big Bend to White Sands Natl Monument. Excited to see White Sands. Too bad there's no full moon this trip :(
8. White Sands to Phoenix burbs (have a friend there). Will prob stop in Tucson (friends). What is there to do on the way? Sights? Adventures?
9. Phoenix to Grand Canyon. Have never been, need to see it.
10. Grand Canyon to Zion/Bryce Canyon. Which park is cooler? What to do there? Is there good mountain biking?
11. SW Utah to Vegas. Need a night of debauchery. :) What route to take?
12. Vegas to Yosemite. What route to take?
13. Yosemite to San Fran or Big Sur. Stay with friends or camp.
14. Route 1 down to LA.
I know, it's ambitious but we are young and have energy and a great car. Any suggestions of in-between stops on this trip would be greatly appreciated as we don't want to spend all day with straight drives on highways.
Thanks for reading!