1. Default Tennessee and Kentucky

My best friend and I are planning to take a short trip through Tennessee and Kentucky before I head off to school in a couple weeks. We live in North Carolina and have already decided to visit Warren Wilson College, Berea College, Louisville, Lexington, Memphis, Nashville, and Gatlinburg. However, we know few exact attractions around these areas. It would be especially nice if anyone knows of places to stop between our primary desitinations. My friend also requested that we stop somewhere semi-fancy just once.

Default The Northern South

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

Not knowing where you're starting from or what your interests are, some of this is going to be a shot in the dark, but a few of the places you really ought to be considering visiting along your general route would be:

The Biltmore Estate in Ashville
    Great Smoky Mountains National Park either on the way out or back
    Falls of the Ohio State Park across the river from Louisville
    Mammoth Cave National Park in central Kentucky
    Shiloh National Military Park in south central Tennessee

For your 'somewhere semi-fancy' why not consider one of the many Kentucky Resort State Parks? Some of these have rooms for around $100 in very nice locations.

AZBuck

Default The Mid-South

I've been to Kentucky 3 time in the past 2 years - it has a lot of natural beauty to offer. What is your idea of a 'short' trip?

Adding to Buck's list:

Cumberland Gap
    Cumberland Falls & Yahoo Falls
    Chained Rock
    Red River Gorge
    Big South Fork

Taking a ride on the highways around and away from Lexington is a favorite of mine - rolling bluegrass and beautiful horses, stone wall lined highways. Good stuff.

Default Bowling Green

I've stopped in Bowling Green twice now on my way to Indianapolis. The first time, I visited the Lost River Cavern (lots of signs off the interstate for directions). The second time I visited the Corvette Museum. I found both to be entertaining and well worth the excursion.

Kentucky is very good about putting signs up on the interstate for neat destinations nearby. I've seen several other signs that are on my list for exploration.

Default Bowling Green

I like the Bowling Green area as well, though it has a different 'feel' than Lexington, mostly due to landscape. Last year I was able to take the Corvette plant tour during a four-day trip from MA-KY and back, and I found that quite enjoyable.

The roads in the area (off the Interstate) are fairly lightly travelled and make for good day trips.

i have visited Mammouth cave Natl. Park and would recomend it to everyone!

Both Memphis and Nashville have lots to see and do and the food is great!