After living 6 years in US i am moving to UK. I am planning to do a farewell america road trip across US with my wife for 1 month from San Francisco to New York. I am looking for suggestions on making this trip a memorable one without breaking my back. My route is as follows
San Jose,CA - Yosemite National Park(2 days), then onto Tonopah, NV , take the Extraterrestrial Highway to Zion national park, do a grand circle tour of canyons in utah (10 days) , finish off in Grand Canyon, from then take the route 66 between flagstaff,az to Albuquerue NM (2 days), visit the White Sands National Monument, head eastward to texas, drive up north to Kansas city via oklahoma, Kansas City to St Louis, either the Appalachian trail road through West Virginia , stop enroute in Washington.. ( this final part of the trip is not finalized).
Following are my questions.
1. I don't have *any* camping gear (i was planning on doing 1/2 camping , 1/2 motel) however given that i would only use the gear for one month i am not sure if its worth the cost buying the gear and using it for the trip than spend the money staying in motels.
2. I have a Honda Civic Sedan, and i just ain't sure how i am going to put my stuff 4,6 suitcases and i don't have a luggage rack, any opinions on http://www.piggypack.com/website/car...ers_intro.html.
3. I don't have much experience in camping and was wondering if it would be too hot in utah,arizona for camping.
4. If i stay in motels is there anyway i can still cook on the road perhaps carry a used coleman stove ?
5. any suggestions on the trip route welcome.