1. Default Bodie Ghost Town

Hi all

We want to visit Bodie when we are across in August. We are driving from Las Vegas to San Francisco and wondered what was the best way to go about it.

Any suggestions and direction would really be appreciated, even if it's "don't do it".

Regards

Tony

Default Bodie SHP

Bodie is a State Historic Park and is reached via CA-270, Bodie Road, from US-395. The turnoff onto CA-270 east is about 19 miles north of Lee Vining.

AZBuck

3. Default Bodie Ghost Town

Hi

Many thanks for the reply. I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been. We are coming across from the UK and I am sure we can follow the directions. What would be good is to know if it is best doing this trip whilst driving from Vegas to San Francisco or should we head out from SF?

Many thanks

Tony

Default On the Way

It's over 250 miles one way from San Francisco to Bodie and much of that is over two lane mountain road. So it would definitely not be an easy day trip. I think you'd be much better served to see Bodie on your way from Las Vegas to San Francisco.

AZBuck

Default Where else are you going on that leg?

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzer
    What would be good is to know if it is best doing this trip whilst driving from Vegas to San Francisco or should we head out from SF?
    Tony, it really depends on where else you are planning to drive on the leg between Las Vegas and San Francisco. AZBuck is correct by suggesting that you do from the east side of the Sierras, because it could be "on the way". A couple of things -- that road (SR-270 to the Bodie Road) is well-traveled in the summer, but it has some of the worst washboard you can imagine. Plenty of rental cars make the trip, but your rental car company is not going to be happy about it!

More importantly, how long are you planning for the entire transit from Las Vegas to San Francisco and where else were you planning on stopping?

Mark