Firstly, Hi to everyone, great site!, and I beg forgivenes for the length of this thread!
My husband and I will be landing in San Francisco on Nov 1st (8pm) and we plan on collecting the car and have booked into a local Travelodge for the first night. From there we'll be driving up to Tahoe for 2/3 days (we got married there in 2002) and from there driving south to visit with friends in Redlands CA and San Bernadino CA.
We have the trip covered as far as Lee Vining, as this was a route we took in 2002 to get to Yosemite. It's after this point that we need a little advice and guidance.
My husband wants to go to Vegas with an overnight stay, and I would like to drive through Death Valley. We would BOTH like to see the Grand Canyon. After visiting with the friends in Redlands and San Bernadino, we plan to drive back to SF on the Pacific Coast Highway.
We spent a few days in Yosemite in '02, and also explored Bodie and Mono Lake.
So my questions are these:
1. Does the trip sound 'do-able'?
2. Are we risking any significant snow in early November?
3. Any gems of wisom on things to see along the way / places to overnight etc.
4. How long should we leave ourselves to comfortably drive back up th coast? (We both drive happily in the US)
5. Do you think we'll have the time to see Grand Canyon? (I know there are trips out of Vegas for this).
6. (Last one I promise!) Is there a route across Death Valley that will show us it's beauty and not take us a million miles off the beaten track?
OK I'm done.
Sorry for all the waffling, but we'd like to have a loose itinerary in our minds for the trip (my 7th US roadtrip....my husband's 2nd).