1. Default NYC to Chicago in 5 days

My friend and I are planning on taking a road trip from NYC to Chicago at the end of July, and I was just looking for suggestions of interesting places to stop along the way. We are both young guys, looking for a bit of adventure and not keen on spending a lot of money. We plan on taking it real slow, stretching the drive over about five or so days, so that we can really enjoy ourselves and all the small towns and whatnot along the way. Any suggestions about what not to miss? I'm not so concerned about hotels, or things to do in Chicago once we get there, because we have a tent to sleep in and friends in the Windy City to keep us entertained. But suggestions about quirky things along the way, like giant balls of string, and alternative routes that get us away from I-80 would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Default A few places to stop in PA & NJ

Hello,

Just a couple places to stop in PA and NJ. On a return cross country trip we found a small town in PA, Clearfield. It is home to Denny's Beer Barrel Pub. They made the largest Hamberger!! I think they have since lost the status. We found it quite by accident when asking the motel clerk for a local pub. It turns out that we had seen it on TV, I think the Food Network.

Gettysburg NMP a short distance south of Interstate 80 has the battlefield as well as ghosts. They have daily ghost tours and are quite fun.

The Delaware Gap National Rec Area is on the PA/NJ border and right on Interstate 80. If you like hiking and views of the water, it's great.

Morristown National Historic Park is not far off Interstate 80 and two of George Washington's winter encampments were there.

Have a great trip and fun planning it.

Diana

Default Atomic Wings!

Quote Originally Posted by mulberrynothuckleberry
    My friend and I are planning on taking a road trip from NYC to Chicago at the end of July,
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Do you like hot spicy food? At Quaker State and Lube in Sharon, Pennsylvania, they used to make diners sign a liability waiver before allowing them to consume their signature "Atomic Wings" -- I tried a couple on my last visit -- be very careful.... On the other end of the taste bud alert zone is Wink's in New Buffalo, Michigan

Happy Planning!

Mark

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Put-in-Bay, Ohio, the Flats in Cleveland

I would imagine you'll skirt America's North Coast along Lake Erie through Ohio.

A stop at the Flats entertainment district in Cleveland would be a must if you like to party. There are bars and entertainment venues on both sides of the river. You can even take water taxis back and forth if something looks like more fun on the other side. It is also near Jacobs Field, so catch an Indians game.

Take US 6 west and go through some beautiful lake shore towns. We especially have enjoyed Vermillion.

Farther west, at Sandusky is Cedar Point Amusement Park which bills itself as roller coaster capital of the US.

Then, you come to our favorite place along the stretch and that would be Put-in-Bay on South Bass Island. You can only get there by boat (or fly in). You can take your car across on the Miller Ferry Line from Catawba Island or ride the Jet Express from Port Clinton.

This place is like a small Key West as far as partying goes. There are many bars and restaurants along the beautiful town square and the bands start at noon on the weekends and afternoons during the week.

Check out the Round House Bar, especially if Mike "Mad Dog" Adams is playing. This is a raucous joint and make sure to wear your Roundhouse Bucket on your head (only after you drink its contents).

Nearby is the world's longest bar at the Beer Barrel Saloon, home of island and Key West singer Pat Dailey. This is one great performer with songs from the ribald to the sublime. He completely controls the crowd. When you leave his show, you are worn out. The last I heard, he only plays on the weekends. Check out his website.

This is a great place, but, unfortunately, plan on spending some money. Like Key West, it is expensive.

Continuing west, stop at South Bend, Indiana, and I strongly recommend taking a walking tour of Notre Dame and visiting the Studebaker car museum.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog