1. Default Road trip from CA to AZ

Hi,

I am travelling with my family from San Jose to Phoenix in the month of July. What is the best time to drive to avoid the hot dry heat during daytime. Also, any advice on what to look for will be very helpful Also, I will be taking my dog for the first time. Thanks for your advice.

--Tinker

Default Staying out of the Sun

Welcome to the RTA forum!

The obvious answer to avoid driving in the desert heat, is to drive at night. Otherwise, try to drive early and late, avoiding peak mid-afternoon temps. I don't really know what else to tell you other than to bring plenty of water for you, your dog, and your car.

What do you mean in terms of things to look for? Are you looking for possible stopping points, destinations, or just things along the side of the road that are kind of neat (in that case there is a huge windfarm along I-10 between Palm Springs and San Bernardino)?

Default A Wet Heat

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

Be aware that our monsoon season typically starts in early July and lasts through most of August. The problem at this time of year is that it's NOT a dry heat. The humidity will be increasing at that time and we are subject to daily afternoon thunderstorms. These can lead to flash floods so pay attention to the nearly ubiquitous signs that say "Do not enter when flooded". They mean it! Trust me on this, I lost an engine a couple of years ago - water will not compress in your cylinders, and today's engines have their air intakes at the bottom of the engine block rather than on the top as in the old days. So, as Michael said the best time to be out and about is the early morning. Plan on it being unbearably hot and muggy by noon and raining in the afternoon. The good news is that the thunderstorms will die down as soon as the sun sets and the evenings can be quite cool and lovely. Under no circumstances leave the dog in the car, even with the windows cranked down a bit. Make sure that he, and you all, have access to lots of water at all times - and drink it.

AZBuck

4. Default Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I will make sure that I take lot of water for my family and dog. I will not be doing any sightseeing enroute from CA to AZ.
    So, i guess the best time is to start aound 12PM(PDT) so that it will be late evening by the time we reach Phoenix. Since I will be driving in the desert, any tips that I need to heed while driving a mini-van.

--Tinker

Default More hot weather travel tips

Quote Originally Posted by tinker
    Since I will be driving in the desert, any tips that I need to heed while driving a mini-van
    Yep, read this thread!

Mark