Thread: NYC - Miami

1. Default NYC - Miami

Hi,
    I am from the UK and I'm due to go on a world trip with a friend in August. Our first stop is the U.S and I am currently trying to roughly plot my way across the country, the first leg (of three) being New York to Miami. After much diliberation we have decided that renting a car is the only practical way to travel based on the time we have there.

Our only use of public transport will be our first journey from New York to DC either by train or bus as this seems very straight forward. It is in Dc that we will pick our rental car and have 10 days to get to Miami where we catch a flight to New Orleans. Places I have considered to stop at so far are:-

Charlottesville, VA
    Asheville, NC
    Athens, GA
    Savannah, GA
    St. Augustine, FL

We plan to spend a couple of nights at each.

As I have never been to the U.S before I have little concept of distances between these places and also if I am missing out on more interesting places along the way.

This is where you guys come in. Please feel free to point me in the right direction or let me know if I am being unrealistic about time/distances.

Any information you could provide would be much appreciated. I do warn you however I will be posting other threads in time about legs two and three of the trip.

Thanks
    Mark

Default Seems reasonable

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've got a pretty decent trip planned out there. Trains run extensively from NYC to DC, so it makes a lot of sense to skip renting a car during that stretch.

Your roadtrip plan seems reasonable. You've got a nice mix of mountains and coast. Nothing jumps out as being too far to travel in a day. All and all, I'd say you've got a pretty good start there.