Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you!!

pmteet Guest

Default Going half way across country. NEED pionters

This is my first time posting so I hope I do it right.

This will be my families first MAJOR roadtrip. My kids are 14, almost 10 and 8.
    We live in St. Louis and are going west. I am more of a fly by the seat of your pants type of gal. But want to make sure we see some fun stuff and get everything in. We will be seeing Arches, Bryce, the Grand Canyon, Vegas, Sequoia and Kings canyon, Monterey, San Francisco. From there IF we have time we will see Yosimite and back through Nevada. We will then hit the Rocky mountains and back home. We will be gone for 18 days.

I am a little concerned with HWY 12 in Utah. :)

I have read and gotten info from books and this wonderful site. Any other suggestions would be great.

Thank you

Michelle

Default You Need Almost Nothing More

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

You are doing great as far as I can see. And your kids are going to eat this up. 18 days is probably an ideal amount of time. It will give you all time to enjoy the drive as well as actually experience some of the great locations you're going to be visiting. You're already hitting most of the absolute best the southwest has to offer, so I can only offer a few pointers. You don't give your route, but I suspect that you plan to use I-70 through the plains. If so, make sure that you make a couple of good length stops each day. They don't have to be elaborate, a picnic lunch at a state park, a visit to an old cavalry fort, a stop at a small town playground. I'm sure it's not news to you that your kids have more energy than you do, so let them burn it off outside the car. For other tips on travelling as a family, check out these hints.

As to specifics. UT-12 is an absolutely gorgeous road, not to be feared at all!. In Monterey, be sure to see the aquarium, and head down the coast a ways on CA-1 so that the kids can see real sea lions basking on the shore. In San Francisco hit the Exploratorium. Otherwise, I think flying by the seat of your pants is a great way to travel with kids, and they're all going to have wonderful and memorable time.

AZBuck

pmteet Guest

Default Is this a realistic trip?

OK I got most of the details worked out and I would like your guys opinions.
    Since we have a child with health issues the time we spent at the national parks will be limited to maybe 4 hours. Some days will be long in the car but we've got pleanty of games to play. The stops are not writen in stone, if everyone is up to going further certain days that will be great.
    I am also NOT planning on staying two days in Monterey. But we will be going whale watching and I want to give us an extra day incase of bad wheather.
    Any suggestions would be great. We are leaving the Middle of May

We will be leaving Wends. night. St. Louis -Kansas City KS.

Day 2 Kansas City- Denver
    Day 3 Denver- Moab
    Day 4- Moab- Cainville We will see Arches on this day
    Day 5- Caineville- cannonvile (Capital Reef and Hwy 12)
    Day 6- Cannonville- Cameron Az (Grand Canyon)
    Day 7 Cameron Az- Las Vegas
    Day 8 Vegas- Three Rivers Ca
    Day 9 Three Rivers- Monterey Ca (Sequoia Park)
    Day 10 Monterey
    Day 11 Monterey- San Francisco (SiteSeeing)
    Day 12 San francisco- Reno OR however far we get.
    Day 13 Reno- However far we can get
    Day 14 We need to be in Salt Lake City by this day
    Day 15 Salt Lake City - Vernal
    Day 16 Vernal- Craig Co (Dinosaur Monument)
    Day 17 Craig Co- Cheyenne Wy. (Rocky Mountain)
    Day 18 Cheyenne- Ks
    Day 19 Ks- Saint Louis

I know we will all be tired by the time we are done but it will be fun.
    I would LOVE to be able to fit in Yosimite Park but I do not think it will work out.
    Thanks

Michelle
    Last edited by pmteet; 04-20-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Default Weighing in

Quote Originally Posted by pmteet
    Since we have a child with health issues
    You are probably already a total expert on these issues -- and even though you are not going to Disneyworld this trip -- I wanted to recommend a book I reviewed earlier this year -- I learned alot and there might be some helpful tips in there for you too. Here is the link to that book.
    the time we spent at the national parks will be limited to maybe 4 hours.
    If this were a summer trip, I would say this would be very tough to arrange -- (traffic in the parks) but leaving this week, it might be possible.
    We will be leaving Wends. night. St. Louis -Kansas City KS.
    So, you are going to drive 4+ hours the first night and then have a killer day the next day? How many drivers?
    600 miles -- with stops for fuel, rest and food this will be a minimum of 11 hours on the road -- and you only got about four hours of sleep the night before?
    Day 3 Denver- Moab
    355 miles or about 7 hours of travel (this will be a slower over-all day, because you will HAVE to stop and enjoy the views!
    Day 4- Moab- Cainville We will see Arches on this day
    Do you have a reservation at Cainville -- or how did you choose this as a destination? It is gorgeous country -- I just can't remember anything there.
    Day 5- Caineville- cannonvile (Capital Reef and Hwy 12)
    Gorgeous day of driving!
    This day may be pushing the envelope a little bit -- distance is short but there is much to see and do.
    This day is only 304 miles, but it will take 6+ hours of driving -- more if you stop and enjoy places along the way.
    390 miles -- should be a fun day
    I know we will all be tired by the time we are done but it will be fun
    . You have certainly spent some quality time planning this adventure -- I just hope you budget sufficient time for the drivers to rest and recuperate -- lots of long days here.

Let us know what you find out there!

Mark

pmteet Guest

Thanks for your replies. My Hubby will be driving most of it. He loves to drive and long stretches do not bother him. He would rather drive than ride. Which is good because I would rather ride. LOL

We are only going four hours the first day because we will be picking hubby up from work and leaving. Since he gets off at 5, four hours seemed reasonable. If everyone is up to going further we can. Not much is set in stone.

I made a mistake we are not stopping in Cainville but Torrey. My original thought was Cainville, but as you said. I couldn't find a hotel. LOL Makes sleep a tad harder.

Hubby is one that does not like waisting daylight, so 11 hours is not that big of a deal for him. We also have a DVD player for the kids and games to play. If it still light out he wants to be on the road. We both average about 5 hours of sleep a night anyway, and due to medicating my middle child we MUST get up at a certain time.

I must say I am a little shocked Mapquest (which I hate anyway) shows a tad shorter time frame. I may try and rethink a few things

Thanks for the link

Michelle

Default Mapquest -- in an alternate universe

I must say I am a little shocked Mapquest (which I hate anyway) shows a tad shorter time frame. I may try and rethink a few things
    Michelle, Mapquest "lives" in an alternative universe where all roads can be driven at 75 mph and there is no need to stop for fuel, food or views. The time-tested rule-of-thumb we live by is: In the western states on Interstates and most highways you can average 57 mph (assuming that when you are driving you drive at or near the posted speed limit of the roads) and about 53 mph on all eastern highways over a day's travel. You can sometimes increase this average speed -- but you would need to attain triple digits over an 5-8 hour period to do it. I just drove 640 miles in the Nevada desert and I averaged a tad over that 57 mph (but rarely dropped below "a factor" of the posted speed limit)....

Mark

pmteet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    Michelle, Mapquest "lives" in an alternative universe where all roads can be driven at 75 mph and there is no need to stop for fuel, food or views. Mark
    Is the TravMatix site fairly accurate with driving times? I am not worried about stopping for gas and such. I usually figure that out myself.
    Thanks for all your help. Like I said this is our first REAL roadtrip. The trips we had before were for the kids to have surgery. I want to make it special for them.

Michelle

Default Algorithms

Is the TravMatix site fairly accurate with driving times?
    All of the mapping programs use complex algorithms, most actually adjust the optimal speed for known construction and weather slowdowns -- even with all of the sophistication and believe me it is complicated, (we tried to writing our own RTA software), using the 57 or 53 mph average speed works out the best.
    The trips we had before were for the kids to have surgery. I want to make it special for them.
    Just being on the road as a family will make it special -- it is never about the place -- it is always about the journey.

Mark

pmteet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    All of the mapping programs use complex algorithms, most actually adjust the optimal speed for known construction and weather slowdowns -- even with all of the sophistication and believe me it is complicated, (we tried to writing our own RTA software), using the 57 or 53 mph average speed works out the best.
    Mark

Thanks I will do that.

pmteet Guest

Default One More Question

I hope you do not mind one more question.
    We really want this "fly by the seat of our pants" on this trip. But I am getting nervous. I am afraid we will not have a hotel room.

What do you guys think? Again most of the stops are not set in stone.

Thanks again

Michelle

will be leaving Wends. night. St. Louis -Kansas City KS.

Day 3 Denver- Moab
    Day 4- Moab- Torrey We will see Arches on this day
    Day 5- Torrey- cannonvile (Capital Reef and Hwy 12)
    Day 9 Three Rivers- Monterey Ca (Sequoia Park)
    Day 10 Monterey
    Day 11 Monterey- San Francisco (SiteSeeing)
    Day 12 San francisco- Reno OR however far we get.
    Day 13 Reno- However far we can get
    Day 14 We need to be in Salt Lake City by this day
    Day 15 Salt Lake City - Vernal
    Day 16 Vernal- Craig Co (Dinosaur Monument)
    Day 17 Craig Co- Cheyenne Wy. (Rocky Mountain)
    Day 18 Cheyenne- Ks
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-06-2006 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Merged with Previous Posts