Default Family vacation to Missouri

Hi,

My Husband and I are traveling with our two kids from California to Springfield, Mo. we will be traveling across I-70 from Utah to Mo.
    We are leaving around the 1st week of July.
    I am interested in learning about some tourist attractions to stop by and see and any Wi-Fi spots anyone may know of along the way too.
    can anyone help?

We are already planning on stopping by Buffalo bill's grave and museum.
    Is there anything interesting in Utah not too far form I-70? and in Kansas?

Oh and any pet friendly Motels or hotels along the way?
    we are taking 3 of our chihuahuas with us...No, we are not crazy..LOL

I appreciate any info you may have.
    Thanks,
    Brandy

Default Where in California?

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloFaith
    My Husband and I are traveling with our two kids from California to Springfield, Mo.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum Brandy!
    we will be traveling across I-70 from Utah to Mo.We are leaving around the 1st week of July.
    Well, you are in for a treat -- I-70 through eastern Utah is one of my favorite sections of interstate highway in America. And then the 200 mile stretch between Grand Junction and Vail is flat-out gorgeous. Be sure to stop and skip some stones in the river in Glenwood Canyon -- it is hard to beat a rushing river flanked by active railroad line.
    any Wi-Fi spots anyone may know of along the way too.
    Wi-Fi outlets abound all along your route. I always recommend staying at Holiday Inn Express motels because the Wi-Fi/Internet connection always work. If you need some refresher info on SMTP settings, this recent article by Del will really help.
    Is there anything interesting in Utah not too far form I-70?
    The Fremont Indian State Park is pretty cool.

Happy Planning!

Mark

Hi Mark,

We will be leaving out of Chico, Ca, we are going to drive up highway 70 to Reno and stop by the ex husband's house so he can see our son, and then we will be heading out off of I-80 to 50 to 70 and then straight into Missouri.

Thank you for the tips and the info, I really appreciate it, this will be our first road trip cross country, I went with my dad cross country 2 times. But I was about 14 the last time we went. now my oldest son is 14 and his first trip, it's gonna be really exciting.My youngest is 9 and a chatter box, but thank God for portable dvd players and stuff, I don't know how I survived without one....LOL

Default Portable DVDs

...My youngest is 9 and a chatter box, but thank God for portable dvd players and stuff, I don't know how I survived without one...
    You won't find much appreciation for such diversions on this board. I think such electronic devices detract from family road trips. Here is one such view on this subject from a dad with small children.

Mark

Default I totally agree with Mark on this

Some of my most precious memories from when my kids were young was the bonding we did while on the road. We would take turns adding to our own made-up stories, sing songs, play other car games, etc. It was great fun and I miss those times desperately.

It's cliche but they really do grow up too fast. Enjoy this time while you can and create some great memories.

Well first off, I am not going to let them constantly have their faces buried in a dvd screen or a game player, I plan on stopping and making them get out and look at stuff with me, like my father had us do on our trip, when we stopped and got out and climbed on huge dinosaurs and watched the great buffalo herd in Colorado. I intend on my children actually being able to tell me what they saw on this trip.

I am not going to let them melt their brains, if that was the case I would not have bothered stopping by here to ask for advice on places to stop and check out with them.

Trust me if anyone can appreciate making memories with my kids, it's me. I already have lost one child. and I want to make as many memories as I can with my two surviving kids. My daughter would be 7 right now and enjoying this trip with us, but she passed away at 3 1/2 years old, so yes I do know how quickly they grow up and how much everyone needs to make memories, I do appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

7. Default Kansas

Hello

There are 2 places I have visited in Kansas when my children were small. The first coming from the west would be Fick Fossil and History Museum in Oakley. It is just a small, but free, fossil museum in a library but nice to just get out and stretch for an hour or so. Fort Hays State Historic Site is about 90 miles east of Oakley in Hays, KS. It is small western fort and across the street lives a herd of buffalo.

You mentioned visit to Buffalo Bill's grave, I don't know how much time you will have in the area but Rocky Mountain NP is northwest of Denver and a beautiful National Park to visit.

Hope you have a a great trip.
    Diana

Default Colorado Stops

We are already planning on stopping by Buffalo bill's grave and museum.
    Brandy --The drive up to the museum is quite nice, but the place itself is a little underwhelming. But there some other places near by that I WOULD recommend. Across from the Red Rocks Amphitheater is a sandstone outcropping full of dinosaur tracks Actually there is byway that incorporates the Buffalo Bill museum (on Lookout Mountain) that is called the Lariat Loop -- the signage is little tough, but it is cool. Best thing -- on I-70, just before you get to the turn-off for Lookout Mountain (Buffalo Bill) look to your left (on the west-bound side of the road) there are usually wild bison feeding on the side of the highway. Actually, Buffalo Bill Days is the last week of July and so the museum will probably be getting all spiffed up when you are there.

And if you have time to drive up to Estes Park -- go to the Stanley Hotel and walk out to the parpet overlooking the pool -- the view of the mountains is breath-taking. If you want a scenic drive through the Rockies that won't take you too far out of the way, when you reach Idaho Springs, take SR-119 north up to Black Hawk and then follow SR-72 and then SR-7 up to Estes Park, see the Stanley and then you can US-34 back to I-25 and then back to I-70. Excluding stops it will only add about 2.0 hours to your trip.

I have driven all of these roads -- very nice views.

Mark