Default Las Vegas to Area 51

I'm going to be in Las Vegas in about two weeks. My friend and I want to get as close as legally allowed to the Area 51/Groom Lake area around just outside of Las Vegas. We're planning for a night drive around 1am-2am. We're heading up highway 93, on to 318 and 375. Hopefully there are some side roads that will bring us closer. I know there are forbidden gravel roads but there must be some still not blocked off. (We will be definitely keeping within the law.)

I would like to know if anyone has done this during the day or night. Do you have any suggestions. (For the main drive as well as any off the main roads).

Default Sounds like fun!

Sorry, I can't help you out. But if you see anything intrigueing on this adventure, I hope you'll come back and share! And if you get any pictures with mysterious lights, well, I hope you have a Polaroid. Nobody trusts a digital camera, ya know!

The only thing I know about is the Little A'Le'Inn. Here are several websites that mention is and also discuss some of the mysteries expected hidden in that area. Website one, two, three. Hopefully this will give you some ideas. Instead of making your trip a night drive/round trip, it sounds like a night here would be a lot of fun. And breakfast sounds good, too!

Enjoy!

Default Ground Sensors and armed guards

Quote Originally Posted by ph_leung
    I'm going to be in Las Vegas in about two weeks. My friend and I want to get as close as legally allowed to the Area 51/Groom Lake area around just outside of Las Vegas. We're planning for a night drive around 1am-2am. We're heading up highway 93, on to 318 and 375. Hopefully there are some side roads that will bring us closer.
    You are likely to have a close-encounter with some armed personnel in jeeps. Ground sensors and a variety of other tools line the perimeter of the base. I know someone who has hiked in a couple of times, but his entry is always watched. Here is a short article we wrote about the area.

Mark